How to count cells with text and characters in Excel

This tutorial shows how to count cells with text and characters in Excel 2010-2013. You will find helpful Excel formulas for counting characters in one or several cells, character limits for cells and get a link to see how to find the number of cells that contain specific text.

Initially Excel was designed to work with numbers, thus you can always choose one of three ways to perform any counting or summing operation with digits. Fortunately, the developers of this helpful application didn't forget about text. Thus, I'm writing this article to show you how to use different options and formulas in Excel to count cells with text or count certain characters in a string.

Below you can find the options I'm going to cover:

At the end, you'll also find links to our previous blog posts related to counting cells in Excel.

Excel - Count cells with text

If you need to count the number of cells with text in Excel, you can use the COUNTIF function:

=COUNTIF(A2:D10,"*")

Here A2:D10 is your range with data and "*" is a wildcard matching any number of characters.
Use the COUNTIF function - =COUNTIF(RANGE,'*'')

Just enter the formula with the correct range to any cell where you want to see the result and press Enter. The result will be right there.

Note. The logical values TRUE and FALSE are not counted as text. In addition, numbers are not counted by "*" if they are not entered as text starting with an apostrophe ('). Empty cells beginning with an apostrophe (') will be counted.

One more formula you can use to count cells with text in Excel is

=COUNTA(range)-COUNT(range)

A formula you can use to count cells with text in Excel

This formula will ignore both dates and numbers.

Another function you can use in Excel to count the number of cells with text is an array formula that needs to be entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. You can use SUMPRODUCT to count text values along with the function ISTEXT like this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISTEXT(range))

The double hyphen, or double unary, coerces the result of ISTEXT from a logical value of TRUE or FALSE, to 1's and 0's. SUMPRODUCT then adds these values together to get a result.
Use the formula =SUMPRODUCT(--ISTEXT(range))

Thus if you need to quickly count cells with text in Excel, feel free to use one of the formulas above.

Excel formula to count characters in a cell

I can presume that in one of the future versions of Excel the Status Bar will show the number characters in a string. While we are hoping and waiting for the feature, you can use the following simple formula:

=LEN(A1)

In this formula A1 is the cell where the number of text characters will be calculated.
Use the =LEN(A1) formula to count text characters in a cell

The point is Excel has character limitations. For example, the header cannot exceed 254 characters. If you exceed the maximum, the header will be cut. The formula can be helpful when you have really long strings in your cells and need to make sure that your cells don't exceed 254 characters to avoid problems with importing or displaying your table in other sources.

Thus, after applying the function =LEN(A1) to my table, I can easily see the descriptions that are too long and need to be shortened. Thus, feel free to use this formula in Excel each time you need to count the number of characters in a string. Just create the Helper column, enter the formula to the corresponding cell and copy it across your range to get the result for each cell in your column.

Excel - Count characters in several cells

You may also need to count the number of characters from several cells. In this case you can use the following formula:

=SUM(LEN(range))
Note. The above formula must be entered as an array formula. To enter it as an array formula, press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Count the number of text characters in several cells in Excel

This formula can be helpful if you want to see if any rows exceed the limitations before merging or importing your data tables. Just enter it to the Helper column and copy across using the fill handle.

Excel formula to count certain characters in a cell

In this part, I'll show you how to calculate the number of times a single character occurs in a cell in Excel. This function really helped me when I got a table with multiple IDs that couldn't contain more than one zero. Thus, my task was to see the cells where zeros occurred and where there were several zeros.

If you need to get the number of occurrences of certain character in a cell or if you want to see if your cells contain invalid characters, use the following formula to count the number of occurrences of a single character in a range:

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"a",""))

Here "a" is a character you need to count in Excel.
Count the number of occurrences of certain character in a cell

What I really like about this formula is that it can count the occurrences of a single character as well as part of some text string.

Count the number of occurrences of certain character in a range

If you want to count the number of occurrences of certain character in several cells or in one column, you can create a Helper column and paste there the formula I described in the previous part of the article =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"a","")). Then you can copy it across the column, sum this column and get the expected result. Sounds too time consuming, doesn't it?

Fortunately, Excel often gives us more than one way to get the same result and there is a more simple option. You can count the number of certain characters in a range using this array formula in Excel:

=SUM(LEN(range)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(range,"a","")))
Note. The above formula must be entered as an array formula. Please make sure you press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to paste it.

Count the number of occurrences of certain character in a range

Count the number of occurrences of certain text in a range

The following array formula (must be entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter) will help you count the number of occurrences of certain text in a range:

=SUM((LEN(C2:D66)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2:D66,"Excel","")))/LEN("Excel"))

For example, you can count the number of times the word "Excel" is entered in your table. Please don't forget about space or the function will count words beginning with certain text, not the isolated words.
Count the number the word 'Excel'

Thus, if you have certain text snippet scattered around your table and need to count its occurrences really quickly, use the formula above.

Excel character limits for cells

If you have worksheets with large amount of text in several cells, you may find the following information helpful. The point is that Excel has a limitation on the number of characters you can enter to a cell.

• Thus, the total number of characters that a cell can contain is 32,767.
  • A cell can display only 1,024 characters. At the same time, the Formula bar can show you all 32,767 symbols.
  • The maximum length of formula contents is 1,014 for Excel 2003. Excel 2007-2013 can contain 8,192 characters.

Please consider the facts above when you have long headers or when you are going to merge or import your data.

Count cells that contain specific text

If you need to count the number of cells that contain certain text, feel free to use the COUNTIF function. You will find it beautifully described in COUNTIF formulas with wildcard characters (partial match).

You may also be interested in

We have already written about counting and calculating in Excel. If you haven't found the necessary information please have a look at one of the following articles published on our blog.

Hope this article will help you next time you need to count the number of cells with text or certain character occurrences in your spreadsheet. I tried to cover all options that can help you - I described how to count cells with text, showed you an Excel formula for counting characters in one cell or in a range of cells, you found how to count the number of occurrences of certain characters in a range. Also you can benefit from one of the links to our previous posts to find many additional details.

That's all for today. Be happy and excel in Excel!

93 Responses to "How to count cells with text and characters in Excel"

1. gavin preston says:

Hi Maria I have tried your solutions but in all cases where im trying to count cells with text in the formulas seems to include cells with formulas in, I have 1400 rows and I want to count the number of cells that match my formula IF(ISERROR(MATCH *** . the formula im using works as it compares names in two columns but now I want to total it up and all i get using your ideas it is the full row total. Is there a way of doing this and ignoring cells with formula ?

2. haneefa says:

hi
    would you please help me to find a equation in excel i have tried many times to find it i could not find. in a column there are different texts there are "/" in middle of some texts i want to avoid some letters from that texts that letters beyond the "/" and include "/" .i want to change below texts like
    eg: han/han han
    pan/san pan
    ran/man ran

• Hinesh says:

Use this formula considering the values start from cell A1, B1 and so on:
      =LEFT(A1,FIND("/",A1)-1)

This formula finds the "/" character and displays all the text till that character and the "-1" removes the "/" character

• Hienze says:

How do I separate the text for the following
      hienze/adsfdsaf kt/feD.xl - "i need "feD.xl" in this
      asda/sfer/aedfew/rwtw/sdfjhk.cl - "i need "sdfjhk.cl" in this"
      ewr/tye.tre - "i need "tye.tre" in this"
      Basically i need to get the text after the last "/" in every cell.
      Any help will be highly appreciated

• Watto says:

This should work. I've written it as though your data begins in cell A1. Copy this formula down.

=SEARCH("^",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","^",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))))

• Watto says:

Whoops, I left out the piece before "SEARCH"...

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-SEARCH("^",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","^",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","")))))

3. Valentina says:

hi,
    I have a one problem which I can't solve. I have about 10 sheets in one excel and in every sheet is an table which contain a rows with text. In the laste sheet I would like to summarize the whole from sheets but I don't know which formula I can use for do this. I want to count or sum the text accross the multiple sheets but I don't know how. Thanks for response!

• Hello, Valentina,

You need to add the references to other sheets. For example, here the formula for the number of text cells from 3 sheets (Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3) with data in A1:A10:
      =COUNTIF(Sheet1!A1:A10, "*") + COUNTIF(Sheet2!A1:A10, "*") + COUNTIF(Sheet3!A1:A10, "*")

• Margaret says:

Ms. Maria Azbel:

What if you have a variety of names (instead of sheet 1, Sheet2)on your multiple sheets and you want to count or sum the text across those multiple sheets from one column; could you not use a formula that is like the First Last formula? =SUM(First:Last!D28)

Would I do: =COUNTIF(First:Last!D28) ?

4. Brad says:

Good information but i need additional help for filtered columns...

I am trying to count the number of cells that have "X" (the X comes from a formula where the cell has this then an X goes into this cell (=IF(X1="LTI","X","")) in them but the column is filtered by year or month. So i only want to count the cells containing an X if they are displayed when filtered.

really struggling with this.

thanks

5. rich says:

In an excel spreadsheet, if I have 5 cells in a row or column, 4 cells which have a number value and only one cell that has a text format, such as a name, how do I create a formula that will ignore cells with numbers and input the only text value as my answer?

For instance,
    If C1 = 4, C2 = 6, C3 = 9, C4 = Quality Paving, C5 =2
    And I created a formula in another cell, such as Cell D14, with formula, =Sum(C1:C5), my value would be the sum of all the numbers. But I want my value in a certain cell to equal Quality Paving. What formula can you create that will ignore the number cells and give you the text value only as it is in another cell?

6. chandra singh says:

how to count only text.
    question
    d
    d
    e

d
    Now please count only text value. I tried but it counts space also.

7. Hienze says:

How do I separate the text for the following
    hienze/adsfdsaf kt/feD.xl - "i need "feD.xl" in this
    asda/sfer/aedfew/rwtw/sdfjhk.cl - "i need "sdfjhk.cl" in this"
    ewr/tye.tre - "i need "tye.tre" in this"
    Basically i need to get the text after the last "/" in every cell.
    Appreciate your help

8. Milly Battaion says:

Where I work we have to maintain a daily census that lets us know how many people are in the building, including residents and guests.

I want to know if I when a name is added or removed how can I keep a running total.

So in other words to make sure I am explaining myself, if a resident moves in, or passes away, or is in the hospital or a family member stays with us we have to know how many people (not staff) or in the building. So if right now I have 70 residents and tomorrow one goes to the hospital and one moves out my total should say 68. So how to I get the 70 to change from 68 using names of people not numbers. Right now if someone forgets to change the total manually then we could have problems. But if the number changes with a name added or removed it would help a lot. Thank you.

9. Armaghan says:

hi,
    i want to enter a number and after that some information appear.for example when i enter 570, after that some information in a row about weight,quality,tonnage or other things should provide. i use the custom list in excel option but the error (cells without simple text were ignored) appear. what should i do???
    please help me

10. Carla says:

843,138FS+5d,411,416,766,132
    83,81,45
    90SS
    98SS
    99SS
    100SS
    101SS
    834,134
    544FF,531FF,558FF,761FF,560FF,570FF,555FF,551FF
    Each of these is in a separate cell, I'm trying to count those without SS or FF on the end. This is to count the number of FS relationships in an export from MS Project. I have been able to do the count of SS and FF.

11. Ashley Boyd says:

I know how to count a "V" in a cell for one, but I was wondering if there is anyway I can count it as .5 and as 1 too. What can I put to make it count as .5?

12. Thibolover says:

I'm struggling to count a specific alphabet like "P" in a cell range of a few words.

13. Milan says:

Hi guys,

I am using Excel 2010.

I'd like to ask you for your kind support. I am looking for formula which calculate with text & no. (where no. is changing).

Example:

A1=R00000
    I need to get in A2=A1+1 --> R00001

Thank you in advance.

Milan

14. Gary Huber says:

I have cells with part numbers, I.E.
    123456-1
    123456-2
    24W652-1
    24W652-2
    etc.
    I need formulas to find out how many odd numbers and even numbers I have total as they equate to left and right sides of an aircraft?

• Hello, Gary,

Please use the following formula for the odd numbers:
      =SUM(--(MOD(1*RIGHT(A1:A7,1),2)=1))

The one for the even numbers:
      =SUM(--(MOD(1*RIGHT(A1:A7,1),2)=0))

Here A1:A7 is your list address. Please note that these formulas are array formulas. Use Ctrl + Shift + Enter to enter them.

15. Atul Vaidya says:

12251197-ltc-mun-transporte-ejecutivos-oriente-anibal-golindano-1900006354-m-i-swaco.xls
    12238385-ben-chalbi-faical-3028438-wireline.xls

i want to find employee no which is stat with 1900 and does not start with 1900.
    how can i want find both in one formula.

16. Dilip says:

I'm creating a spreadsheet (Excel 2003) in which a user enters data in several cells, each of which will permit only 50 numbers of characters (to include spaces). i have used data validation to limit cahracters to 50, but i want to show number of characters typed simultaneously. anyone please help me out. thanks in advance.

17. abel says:

Hi guys,
    I have two columns in my spreadsheet - code(1-18) and duration in minutes (1-300)

I need to get the sum of values(values in minutes) of the same code of cells. The code still in numbers (eg 1-18)

Kindly someone help.

18. Adrian says:

if my cell is like below

1,AF

and I need to count " AF " is that possible to do? how? what formula will I have to use?

Thank you.

19. Adrian says:

formula worked fine but is not constant in the next cell below..... why is that. may I know how to let all the cells below function the same way I commanded the first cell above.

20. Raisul says:

I Wish to get number value (example 5) in B1 cell from √ symbol in A1 cell

21. sanjay ghosh says:

Some of the characters that have been written on the column if the column will come lekhata

22. Triza Ellen says:

Hello!

Just wanna how can I count a number which is double number, I have this numbers (1,2,3,4,5,11,23) and my problem was, the double number was counted separately. Instead of 7 it counted 9.

Thank you very much!

23. jay mahajan says:

I have a excel of 4 columns and 90 rows, i want to compare this with another column having 180 rows and hence count the common in this 4 rows

24. Carol says:

How can I count unique values among duplicates in a column? I have text that is duplicated on several rows. I need a total count of all text without counting duplicates.

25. abid ali says:

i have three option in A column present, leave , late i whant if present or leave = 0 and if late then 20 add total of month.

26. S.Narasimhan says:

Dear Sir,
    How to find out the position of a word in a text string in excel 2013.
    Example.
    Cell A1
    The cow has eaten the grass.
    Position of the word "cow" is 2.
    Position of the word "eaten" is 4.
    Position of the word "grass" is 6.
    Regards
    S.Narasimhan

27. Fahd Sharaf says:

successfully I can get the count of repeated text in a range for example: I have a repeated letter "P" in the range A21:D123 50 times the function I made = sum(len(A21:D123)this will count successfully all text in this range .

I am struggling in counting the occurrences of different letters in the same range what I need is to count the "P" individually and at the same time if there are A, C and N I also need their numbers in the same range. how can I do this?
    thanks in advance

28. Jen C says:

I have a cells with numbers and characters i.e. 2C, 5B. Please could you tell me the calculation to count up just the numbers and then seperately the characters?
    Many thanks

29. ALLISON NEGROTTO says:

Hi, I am trying to format a cell if it contains EXACTLY 17 characters. I input Vehicle VIN numbers which contain letters & numbers, 17 ONLY.

I need the cell to change color IF it has 17 characters. (Cells A2 thru A29

• Hi ALLISON,

Please try to do the following:
      1. Select cells A2:A29.
      3. Click Conditional Formatting -> New Rule.
      4. Select the "Use a formula to determine which cells to format".
      5. In the Formula field type the following formula:
      =LEN(A2)=17
      6. Click the Format button to set the format you need.
      7. Click OK.

30. Satyendra kumar bharti says:

Vehicle Name Total KM
    Santro 15km
    Tavera 13km
    Swift 40km
    Indica 30km

31. Trudie says:

I am trying to figure out how to combine a couple of countif's from two different columns to give me the answer in another cell.

Eg:
    =COUNTIF(F5:F99; "*Red*") (so how many times"Red" is written in this particular series BUT i only want to know which "Red"s belong to a specific gender e.g this countif =COUNTIF(E5:E99; "*f*").

I can't figure out how to combine them to prouduce a result that gives me all the 'f' in the columns E which are also "red"

Would love your help.

32. Donaly says:

I have looked at all of the above and I am still lost and can only find the outcome of one piece of the calculation

=COUNTIF(O8:O17,"24+") etc

I would like excel to count the number of times the Age Group occurs and also the corresponding value when it comes up in the total. For example:

The below shows the number of times each age range is repeated, however, It does not match the number of Apps required. I need it to add the corresponding value.

"No. of Apps

Total
    16-18 7
    18 1
    19+ 1
    24+ 2

Apps req 23

So the outcome I am hoping to achieve is the sum of all group matches the sum of apps req.

Total
    16-18 7
    18 1
    19+ 1
    24+ 14

Apps req 23

Can you help?

33. Puran Chand says:

Hello all, need a help i have text with drop down as follows in a cell
    5(Deliverables as per requirement)
    4(Deliverables with minor/cosmetic defects/bugs)
    3(Deliverables with minor/cosmetic defects/bugs but affected overall schedule)
    2(Deliverables with major defects/bugs)
    1(Deliverables with critical defects/bugs affected customer quality and schedule)
    i have different milestones(rows) with above drop down option now i want to sum all points for all rows.please let me know how SUM related cell consider above in numbers not text

• Hi Puran,

You should use the following formulas:
      =SUMPRODUCT((LEFT($A$1:$A$15, 1)="5") * 1)
      =SUMPRODUCT((LEFT($A$1:$A$15, 1)="4") * 1)
      =SUMPRODUCT((LEFT($A$1:$A$15, 1)="3") * 1)
      =SUMPRODUCT((LEFT($A$1:$A$15, 1)="2") * 1)
      =SUMPRODUCT((LEFT($A$1:$A$15, 1)="1") * 1)
      Please replace "$A$1:$A$15" with your own range.

34. dinesh says:

hey i want to do the validation of PAN no. i.e. in between first five char are alfabets, next four are numeric & last one is also alfabet. its total 10 digit of no. so how can I check multiple PAN nos. at one tym. please tell me the formula.

• Hi dinesh,

You should use the following formula:
      =AND(NOT(ISERROR(SUMPRODUCT(SEARCH(MID(LEFT(A1, 5),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(LEFT(A1, 5)))),1),"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz")))), NOT(ISERROR(VALUE(MID(A1, 6, 4)))), NOT(ISERROR(SUMPRODUCT(SEARCH(MID(RIGHT(A1, 1),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(RIGHT(A1, 1)))),1),"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz")))))

35. Syed says:

Hi Maria,

Hope you are doing well, I am a basic excel user, I am handling an excel work book in 2016 version, I've got a query as follows:

I have 9 worksheets in an excel book and a specific column in each sheet which displays a series of reference numbers as:

GAD5-CDC-T2-349-230315-DWG-PP-STR-0114-0
    GAD5-MGM-T2-349-230315-DWG-PP-STR-0114-0
    GAD5-CDC-T2-349-230315-DWG-SD-STR-0114-0
    GAD5-MGM-T2-363-250315-DWG-PP-STR-0119-0
    GAD5-CDC-T2-363-250315-DWG-DD-STR-0119-0
    GAD5-CDC-T2-363-250315-DWG-BD-STR-0119-0
    GAD5-CDC-T2-259-51-050515-DWG-FD-S-0233-00
    GAD5-CDC-T2-259-51-050515-DWG-TD-S-0233-00
    GAD5-MGM-T2-259-51-050515-DWG-LD-S-0233-00
    GAD5-MGM-T3-119-25-DDS-ST-1568-02
    GAD5-MGM-T3-119-25-DDS-RT-1568-02
    GAD5-MGM-T3-119-25-DDS-OT-1568-02

and so on, Please note: these numbers are not following any sequence. I want to count the number of times the second last series of number is appearing. In this Instance

0114 is 3 times
    0119 is 3 times
    0233 is 3 times &
    1568 is 3 times

I want to count this by a formula and get the result in any other cell as a counter. I'll appreciate if you could help me in this please.

36. Rajesh Peshiya says:

Dear Svetlana,

i have a small query, i have a attendance sheet like below:-

Name Code 01-Dec 02-Dec 03-Dec 04-Dec 05-Dec 06-Dec 07-Dec Total C/L
    xxxx xx P 3/4 C/L P 1/2 C/L; 1/2 S/L C/L W/O P ?

i want to count total C/L, but in this numaric data is there with C/L.
    pls suggest.

thanks in advance.
    Rajesh

37. shk says:

how to count different alphabet if many rows..
    example:

H2=JLT
    I2=JLT
    J2=#N/A

H3=PPR
    I3=PPR
    J3=#N/A

38. Prashant Golde says:

I have past my data in one cell for E.g cell A2 1.aaaaa
    2.bbbbb
    3.ccccc
    I want to apply formula for calculate the no of Pointer mention in one cell can any one suggest me how to drived No. .....

39. Rob says:

Can you help?
    I want to display the names of anyone with a "C" in a range of cells. So if any cells from A1:A10 has a "C" then A12 needs to display the name that is in cell A11, If there is not a "C" then no name will be displayed..

Thank you!!

40. MOATAZ says:

ANY HELP FOR USING FORMULA "COUNT IF" FOR SPECIFIED CELL WHICH CONTAIN MORE THAN 255 LETTER

41. Joseph says:

I have a string of data, one number in its own cell which are mixed between numbers and H plus a number that we use for holidays on our timesheets, so may 6 H7 H7 7 8 8 How can I just record the numbers after the H so I can track the numbers of holidays being claimed?

42. Sandy says:

TOTAL MONTH OF PRESENT WORKERS FOR EX. P (1TO 15TH DAYS) & ABSENT A (16th to 31st)days in excel.

i have any help for using the formulas in this cell sum total. separate total present days & total absent days

43. Chris says:

Im trying to count cells that contain numbers and text is this possible?
    I just want to get the sum of the numbers in each cell but there is text also in this cell.

44. Yogender Singh says:

How to Sum of this data

4 hours
    8 hours
    3 hours
    6 hours
    =sum(?????

45. JANISE says:

hI,
    I have a workbook with 20 worksheets.In each worksheet I want to tally the amount of times the user selects from a drop down box of 10 options.I want to calculate the number of times each option is used on each worksheet and grand tally on the cover sheet.
    Please help

46. Tammy says:

I need help with using Excel 2010 on a formula that will display how many spaces and characters combined are in each cell with a text file. Your help is appreciated.

Tammy

47. Ragesh Lakshmanan says:

I’m working in one of the Trading Company, regularly need to prepare the delivery note report in Excel. Delivery note number is like D17/H0001. So can you please any one of them to provide code for add delivery note number +1.
    For example “D17/H00001”, Next row should be “D17/H00002”. I need the code only.
    Appreciate for your Help!

48. Amanda says:

I have data look like this below

R0754117
    R0658417
    P0256413
    PX5698452
    SO2584696

How do I do the countif wihtout the numeric? I just want to know how many count for R, P, PX and SO? Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

• Hi, Amanda,

if the data is situated in A1:A5, use the following formula to count the number of cells with R at the beginning of the cell:
      =COUNTIF(A1:A5,"R*")

To count the rest of the values simply change R in the formula to other letters.

You can read more about COUNTIF function on our blog post here.

• MADHU SINGH says:

FIRST APPLY THIS
      =LEFT(TEXT CELL,MIN(FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},TEXT CELL&"1234567890")-1))
      IT'S GIVE U A NUMBER, AFTER THAT U WILL COPY THIS FORMULA AND PASTE IN THIS

=SUBSTITUTE(TEXT CELL, LEFT(TEXT CELL,MIN(FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},TEXT CELL&"1234567890"),"")

I HOPE U WILL BE GET YOU ANSWER

49. YOGESH PATEL says:

Hey I want to make shift schedule.. there are 40 members are there. I want to make sum for in any row or column if I will write down for example "m" i total how many "m" are there in row and column. please help me.

Dear support,
    I have big sheet.there is contain text id..when i filter sheet i cannot get total count of filtered text...

How can use countif function in subtotal formula...
    when i use subtotal function i couldnot find countif formula in the list...there is count and countA in the list...
    thank you in advance for your valuable support

52. arif says:

Dear Natalia,
    I would like to clarify...I have a attendence sheet..it cotains Present,Sick leave and annual leave...I use countif formula to get total sick leave and annual leave.then got data.
    But when i filer the sheet based on user the total sick leave and annual leave are not changing.still showing same number...i am requsting to get a formula to solve this issue...

When filter sheet by name result should be show only filtered user only...subtotal formula

I hope clear my question...your quick reply highly appreciated

53. Evan says:

I am trying to count the number of names in a cell. What formula would I use to do this? The name format is first and last which would count as one name.

54. Ashraf says:

i want to convert "PP" into numeric in attendance sheet
    example :- "P" count 1, if we insert double P into one Cell of MS Excel then count 2

55. Daniel Nwanna says:

i want to make result analysis in a way i want the number of As,Bs, Cs etc
    on a excel templete using formular.

Best Regards
    NWANNA, D.

56. Daniel Nwanna says:

Result analysis formular in excel

57. Carey says:

Hello
    How do i count a reply yes for example for cells not arranged within a range
    E. G
    I created a checklist on excel and the reply to the answers yes/no as per the questions are not arranged in typical range

58. Kashif says:

I have data numeric and text with numeric, pls help here how could i count how many times 123456 in data sheet.

i hv use =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(Sheet1!$G$2:$G$28069,6)=E4)) work ok, but when i was change formula =SUMPRODUCT(--((LEFT(Sheet1!G2:G28068,6)+0)=Sheet2!C3)) this was not working.

123456-1234
    321654-3214
    456789-8579
    PO111991
    123456-1234

59. abdul samad says:

sum samad26 karim26
    how I will sum? please answer?

60. Paul says:

I want to do sum for the following which contain number & Words

20 cows
    60 Cows
    70 cows

Result should be 150 or 150 cows.

But if I use auto sum it does not work. How can I do it? Pls help me.

• Doug says:

Paul:
      Split the numbers from the words using Text-to-Columns.
      Highlight the cell, go to Data then choose Text-to-Columns and follow the prompts. After the words and numbers have been separated into their own cells you can use =Sum on the cells that contain numbers.

61. Paul says:

Thanks Doug.
    But is it possible to do sum without transferring text to the other column

I don't want the result like below:
    20 cow
    60 Cow
    70 Cow

I want the result of sum like this:
    20Cow
    60Cow
    70Cow
    150Cow

Pls help how can I do.

62. sujan says:

Hi guys
    i have query about this question how to spit number and text as like:- rana123ranjan456 and 1234sohan567raj how to use split number and text.
    please assist me. please share this e-mail id abhisingh1111156@gmail.com

Thanks and Regards,
    Sujan

63. sujan says:

Hi Guys,

I am not getting solve question that how will count this is.
    please find below this question.
    22pcs 5kg
    15pcs 8kg
    16pcs 10kg
    65pcs 12kg

How will i count and sum please assist me.

Thanks and Regards,
    Sujan

• Doug says:

Sujan:
      Enter "pcs" and "kg" in cells C62 and D62. These will be the headers.
      Enter the data in A48:A57. The formula is case sensitive so be sure the data matches the caps in the headers.
      In C63 enter =SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(C62,$A$48:$A$57)),VALUE(LEFT($A$48:$A$57,FIND(C62,$A$48:$A$57)-1)),0))
      then with the cursor in the formula bar in the formula click the CTRL Shift Enter keys at the same time. This is an array formula so you need to tell Excel to evaluate it as an array. When you enter the formula and then in the formula bar you put the cursor in the formula and click the CTL SHIFT ENTER keys it will put curly brackets around the formula which indicates to Excel that this is an array.
      When the value appears in C63 copy the formula over to D63.
      As you enter more data in the A range be sure to change the second cell address to match the last cell in the range. Right now the range is A48 to A57. If you add more data change the A57 to another cell address. Remember, there are three places in the formula for that range.

64. Paul says:

Column Column Column
    A B C
    Karim 100 200
    Rohim 200 300
    Karim 100 500
    Rohim 500 100

Result should be:

Karim 900
    Rohim 1100

I used = sumproduct(Vlookup (A1,A1:C4,{2,3},0))
    But it does not work. How can I do it? Pls help

65. Mohammad S@rfr@z says:

I have a problem that, i have different 100, 500 etc names
    Problem: #01
    i want to count duplicate name or same
    Problem # 02:
    Count its how much time in data
    Problem # 03:
    In same data reduced specific entry date wise
    PLZ Help Me Anyone.......

66. Amiri says:

How can I count an specific text that is marged with the few cells against a different column with the different texts.
    For example in column A I have a name called "Backshell" or in other cell I have "Footwell"(but these names are marged in the multiple cells. Say Installation marged from A2 to A5 and Footwell from A6 to A10) and In column C I have many texts or words such as "Installation" or "Design" but the cells are not marged; I want to count how many times Installation has been repeated for just backshell or just Footwell.

Please help.
    Thank you.

67. Ravi says:

I need a formula to pick 5 reviewed cases from their production irrespect of the production numbers.

Regards,