Enter multiple lines in a single Excel cell

When you have a lot of text in your Excel cells it can be a good idea to show it on more than one line. But how? Every time you enter text into a cell it longs to be on one line however long it is.
Here is how you can insert more than one line into one cell on your Excel worksheet.

Enter more than one line in a single Excel cell

5 steps to better looking data

Say you have a column with full names in your table and want to get the first and last ones on different lines. With these simple steps you can control exactly where the line breaks will be.

1. Click on the cell where you need to enter multiple lines of text.
  2. Type the first line.
  3. Press Alt + Enter to add another line to the cell.
    Tip.Keep pressing Alt + Enter until the cursor is where you would like to type your next line of text.
  4. Type the next line of text you would like in the cell.
  5. Press Enter to finish up.

So just don't forget the Alt + Enter shortcut to get a line break at a specific point in a cell regardless of the cells width.

See also

93 comments to "Enter multiple lines in a single Excel cell"

1. andy says:

I cant believe with all the power that excel has that it impossible to set a cell to start a new line just by pressing enter without having to go through the Alt ect process. I am putting together a spread sheet for techs to complete and as they type the info into the cell each bit of info should be on a separate line in the same cell, they would just hit enter.
    There must be a way that a cell can accept enter as an add a new line without all the issues of alt key etc
    much the same way this dialogue box works.

Any help always appreciated.

2. Dennis Guilbault says:

Alt Enter seems to work for up to 3 lines in a cell. After that I get #############################

3. Emmanuel says:

Thanks buddy!
    What if i want to reverse the process... bringing the contents on the second line together with the contents on the first line to be on the same line "first line"?

4. SR says:

How can I do this with currency? Alt + Enter gets rid of the currency.

I need this:

£100.00
    £200.00
    £300.00

But when I use Alt + Enter I get this:

Can anyone help please? :)

5. David says:

When I press Alt+Enter and go to the next line, my text in the next line does not appear after pressing enter. Please help me out

6. RIG says:

Hello, I have a long text in a cell. This text needs to be in less than 4 line break. And each line can only have a maximum of 60 letter or characters. Thanks for your help!

help
    for instance i have
    60% and i still want 30%,40%,70% to be below 60% as in 60% will cover all the other numbers
    pls how can i do it

8. MJ says:

I have entered number after using Alt+Enter in to one cell, now i need total of that cell, how I will get total pls help me.
    example. 143 550 350 440 all numbers are entered in to one cell using alt+enter now not able to get single cell total.

9. Pat says:

I want to put text from 3 references into a single cell with multiple lines. I tried:
    =a1&(alt enter)
    b1&(alt enter)
    c1

But this always comes out on the same line of the cell. Can I make it come out on 3 lines of the same cell?

• Hello,

If I understand your task correctly, please try the following formula:

=A1 & CHAR(10) & B1 & CHAR(10) & C1

When using line breaks to separate the concatenated values, you must have the “Wrap text” option enabled for the result to display correctly. To do this, press Ctrl + 1 to open the Format Cells dialog, switch to the Alignment tab and check the Wrap text box.

Hope it will help you.

10. Sumanta says:

how to combine the multiple line of a single cell in excel
    Andra Pradesh #
    Emami #
    OPS AP 94 #
    Emami Ltd., 25-39/2, 7th Lane, R. R. Nagar, Kabela Industrial Area, Kabela, Vijayawada - 520012

11. Krystin Kilman says:

i want to do this but still show currency. every time i use the alt+enter my currency disappears... any help? thank you!

12. KingBifoe says:

Please can this be applied in a data entry form? I would like to add more data under an entry in one particular cell. Thank you

13. Caprice Epps says:

Wow! So simple. It took 30 minutes and several complicated tutorial videos to find your simple way to enter several lines in one cell.
    Thank you!

14. Bharat says:

when I enter data using Alt+Enter, it does move to the next line but now all that I can see is #########. Please could you help me with that?

15. priya says:

I have following data in one cell

1980 : B.Com ; 1982 : MBA ; 1985 : P.hD

I want to align data as given below :
    1980 : B.Com ;
    1982 : MBA ;
    1985 : P.hD

I have huge list. I can not use alt entre for the entire list.
    Kindly help me suggesting different way of formatting

• Hello Priya,

You can select your records and use the standard Find and Replace feature in Excel: enter a semicolon and a space in the "Find what" field, switch to the Replace with field, enter a semicolon and press Ctrl+j on your keyboard, this shortcut stands for a line break. Then click "Replace All".