How to convert time to decimal number, hours, minutes or seconds in Excel

The tutorial demonstrates different ways to convert time to decimal in Excel. You will find a variety of formulas to change time to hours, minutes or seconds as well as convert text to time and vice versa.

Because Microsoft Excel uses a numeric system to store times, you can easily turn hours, minutes and seconds into numbers that you can use in other calculations.

In general, there are two ways to convert time to decimal in Excel - by changing the cell format and by using arithmetic calculations or Excel time functions, such as HOUR, MINUTE and SECOND. Further on in this tutorial, you will find the detailed explanation of the first way and formula examples demonstrating the other technique.

How to convert time to decimal number in Excel

Overall, there are three ways to change a time value to a decimal number: arithmetic operation, CONVERT function or a combination of three different Time functions.

The easiest way to convert time to decimal in Excel is to multiply the original time value by the number of hours, seconds or minutes in a day:

• To convert time to a number of hours, multiply the time by 24, which is the number of hours in a day.
  • To convert time to minutes, multiply the time by 1440, which is the number of minutes in a day (24*60).
  • To convert time to seconds, multiply the time time by 86400, which is the number of seconds in a day (24*60*60 ).

Convert time to a decimal number in Excel

In the following sections, you will learn the other methods of converting times to a decimal number in Excel.

How to convert time to hours in Excel

This section demonstrates 3 different formulas to convert hours from the standard time format (hh:mm:ss) to a decimal number.

Formula 1: Arithmetic calculation

You already know the fastest way to convert a time value to a number of hours in Excel - multiplying by 24, i.e. by the number of hours in one day:

=A2*24 (where A2 is the time value)

To get the number of compete hours, embed the above formula in the INT function that will get rid of the fractional part:

=INT(A2*24)

The formula and arithmetic calculation to convert time to hours in Excel

Formula 2: CONVERT function

Another way to perform the "time > hours" conversion is to use the following Convert formula:

=CONVERT(A2, "day", "hr")

Formula 3: HOUR, MINUTE and SECOND functions

Finally, you can use a bit more complex formula, whose logic, however, is quite obvious. Extract the individual time units by using the HOUR, MINUTE and SECOND functions, then divide minutes by 60 (the number of minutes in an hour) and seconds by 3600 (the number of seconds in an hour), and add up the results:

=HOUR(A2) + MINUTE(A2)/60 + SECOND(A2)/3600

How to convert time to minutes in Excel

The same three methods can be used to convert minutes from the standard time format to a decimal number.

Formula 1: Arithmetic calculation

To convert time to total minutes, you multiply time by 1440, which is the number of minutes in one day (24 hours * 60 minutes = 1440):

=A2*1440

If you want to return the number of compete minutes, utilize the INT function like in the previous example:

=INT(A2*1440)

You can view the results in the screenshot below:
Converting time to minutes in Excel

Formula 2: CONVERT function

To do the "time > minutes" conversion with the CONVERT(number, from_unit, to_unit) function, supply "day" as the unit to convert from and "mn" as the unit to convert to:

=CONVERT(A2, "day", "mn")

Formula 3: HOUR, MINUTE and SECOND functions

One more way to get the number of minutes is to multiply hours by 60 and divide seconds by the same number:

=HOUR(A2)*60 + MINUTE(A2) + SECOND(A2)/60

How to convert time to seconds in Excel

Converting time to total seconds in Excel can be done in a similar fashion.

Formula 1: Arithmetic calculation

Multiply the time value by 86400, which is the number of seconds in a day (24 hours * 60 minutes * 60 seconds = 86400):

=A2*86400
Converting time to seconds in Excel

Formula 2: CONVERT function

The formula is basically the same as in the above examples with the only difference that you convert the "day" unit to "sec":

=CONVERT(A2, "day", "sec")

Formula 3: HOUR, MINUTE and SECOND functions

Use the HOUR, MINUTE and SECOND functions like in the two previous examples (I believe at this point you don't need any further explanation of the formula's logic :)

=HOUR(A2)*3600 + MINUTE(A2)*60 + SECOND(A2)

Tips:

1. If any of the above formulas returns a value formatted as time, simply change the cell's format to Generalto display it as a number.
  2. To convert time to a decimal number that represents the time in the internal Excel system, apply the General format to the cell. With this approach, 23:59:59 will be converted to 0.99999, 06:00 AM to 0.25, and 12:00 PM to 0.5. If an integer part of the converted number is greater than zero, it means that your cell contains both date and time values.

How to split date and time in Excel

As is often the case, your Excel worksheet may contain dates and times in one cell, while you want to split them into two separate cells.

Remembering that in the internal Excel system the date value is stored as a whole part and the time value as a fractional part of a decimal number, you can extract the date using the INT function, which rounds the cell value down to the nearest integer.

Supposing your original dates and times are in column A, the following formula will accomplish the separation:

=INT(A2)
Use the INT function to extract the date values

To extract the time portion, subtract the date returned by the above formula from the original date and time value:

=A2-B2

Where column A contains the original date & time values and column B contains the dates returned by the INT function.

If you'd rather not have time values linked to the separated dates (for example, you may want to remove the date column in the future), you can use the following MOD formula that refers to the original data only:

=MOD(A2,1)
Splitting date and time in Excel

Tip. If the separated date and time values are not displayed properly, change the format of the new columns to Date and Time, respectively.

This is how you split date and time in Excel. If you want to further separate hours, minutes and seconds into individual columns, then use the HOUR, MINUTE and SECOND functions, as demonstrated in How to get hours, minutes and seconds from a timestamp.

How to spell time in Excel

Sometimes, you may need to convert time into the format that reads something like "# days, # hours, # minutes and # seconds". A good thing is that you already know all the ingredients of the formula:

• Extract days using the INT function;
  • Extract time units with HOUR, MINUTE and SECOND functions, and
  • Concatenate all parts in a single formula.

Having difficulties with figuring out a proper formula for your worksheet? The following example will make things easy!

Supposing you have the dates of upcoming events in column B beginning in cell B4, and the current date and time returned by the NOW() function in cell B1.

The formula to calculate the time difference is as simple as =B4-$B$1. Of course, nothing prevents you from subtracting the current date and time directly with =B4-NOW().

And now, let's make a countdown timer that would show how many days, hours, minutes and seconds are left until each event.
Setting up a countdown timer in Excel

The formula to enter in cell D4 is as follows:

=INT(C4) & " days, " & HOUR(C4) & " hours, " & MINUTE(C4) & " minutes and " & SECOND(C4) & " seconds"
The formula to spell time in Excel

If you wish to get rid of 0 values, like in cells D6 and D7 in the screenshot above, then include the following IF statements:

=IF(INT(C4)>0, INT(C4)&" days, ","") & IF(HOUR(C4)>0, HOUR(C4) & " hours, ","") & IF(MINUTE(C4)>0, MINUTE(C4) & " minutes and ","") & IF(SECOND(C4)>0, SECOND(C4) & " seconds","")

All zeros are gone!
The formula to spell time in Excel excluding zero values

Note. When either of the above formulas refers to a negative number, the #NUM! error will appear. This may happen when you subtract a bigger time from a smaller one.

An alternative way to write time in words in Excel is to apply the following custom time format to the cell: d "day," h "hours," m "minutes and" s "seconds". No formulas and no calculations are required! For more information, please see Creating a custom time format in Excel.

Convert text to time in Excel

If your time formulas and calculations do not work right, time values formatted as text is often the cause. The fastest way to convert text to time in Excel is using the TIMEVALUE function.

The Excel TIMEVALUE function has just one argument:

TIMEVALUE(time_text)

Time_text is a text string in any of the time formats that Excel can recognize. For example:

=TIMEVALUE("6:20 PM")

=TIMEVALUE("6-Jan-2015 6:20 PM")

=TIMEVALUE(A2) where A2 contains a text string
Convert text to time using the Excel TIMEVALUE function

As you see, the formulas with cell references and corresponding text strings deliver identical results. Also, please notice the left alignment of time strings (text values) in cells A2 and A6 and right-aligned converted time values in column D.

Convert time to text in Excel

Supposing you have an Excel file full of times formatted to look like "8:30:00 AM" and you want to convert them to the text format. Simply changing the cell's format to TEXT won't work because this would change your time values to underlying numeric representation of the time. For example, 8:30:00 AM will be converted to decimal 0.354166666666667.

So, how do you convert cells to the text format so that your cells still have the time in them? The answer is to use the TEXT function that converts a numeric value to text with the display formatting that you specify, for example:

=TEXT($A2,"h:mm:ss")

The screenshot below demonstrates other possible formats:
Converting time to text in Excel

How to convert numbers to time format in Excel

If you have a list of numbers such as 1, 2, 3.5 and you want to convert them to a time format, for example 1:00:00, 2:00:00 or 3:30 AM, perform the following steps.

1. Divide the numbers by 24 (there are 24 hours in a day). The formula can be as simple as =A2/24.
  2. Select the cell(s) with the formula result, right-click and select Format Cells from the context menu or press Ctrl+1. Either way, the Format Cells dialog will appear, you select Time on the left pane under Category, and choose the format you want on the right pane under Type. Please see How to apply or change the time format in Excel for more details.

Converting numbers to the time format in Excel
That's all for today. If someone wants to get the first-hand experience with the formulas discussed in this article, you are most welcome to download the Sample workbook for converting time in Excel.

If you want to learn a few more helpful formulas to add and subtract times, calculate elapsed time and time difference, please check out other parts of our Excel Times tutorial (the links are available at the end of this page). I thank you for reading and hope to see you again next week.

Excel Times tutorial:

352 comments to "How to convert time to decimal number, hours, minutes or seconds in Excel"

1. Mienke says:

Wanting to do 'end time' - 'start time' in order to get travel time.

End time and start time are in 24hr clock format.

For example, end time is 1100 and start time is 1000. Thus 60 minutes. But I need a formula for this.

No AM / PM or : used.

Please help! I've read the above.

2. Kyle says:

Is there a way to have excel automatically convert the time in hours to minutes, AND display the result in the same cell in which the data is input?

3. Steve says:

Is there a way to convert a length of time in text string formatted like the following to a numerical number such as total days, so I may determine the average length of that time for hundreds of entries.

10 Years 8 Months 26 Days
    1 Years 4 Months 23 Days
    5 Years 11 Months 5 Days
    0 Years 6 Months 12 Days

Thank you for any assistance!

4. Stephanie Bolton says:

Hello!

I could use your expertise, please!

I'm trying to go from:-

1 hour 18 mins

to

78 minutes

Is that possible?

Stephanie

5. Rowan says:

Hey, I'm trying to convert 61:20:00 to decimal, but the formulas I'm finding online are not working because it's over 24 hours. Any tips on how to get it to work? I'm using Google Sheets.

6. David J says:

i have looked in the posts and can not get the following to work out. in column a i have "start time", b is "end time", c is "duration"and in column d i need it to be in minutes. ie - (start) 11:08 AM, (end) 3:20 PM, (duration) 4:12 - but can not get the results in minutes. Which formula do i need to convert duration to minutes?
    my formula for duration is b3-a3 (formula is hh:mm

7. Amy says:

I've received an excel sheet with the format of '# days # hours # mins' per cell in one column. Some cells have '# hours # mins' and others have just '# mins', all in the same column. I'm really stuck on how to convert all into mins without calculating each cell individually. Is there a formula I can apply to update this? Would really appeciate any direction!

• Hello!
      If I understand your task correctly, the following formula should work for you:

=IFERROR(--LEFT(A1,SEARCH("days",A1)-1),0)*1440+ IFERROR(--MID(A1,SEARCH("hours",A1)-3,3),0)*60+ IFERROR(--MID(A1,SEARCH("mins",A1)-3,3),0)

I hope my advice will help you solve your task.

• Amy says:

Hi Alexander,

Thank you so much - it's working, I only need to add a '0' before the data that reads as '2 hours 30 mins' etc, so it's '02 hours 30 mins', otherwise it won't work on those cells. But this is wonderful, thank you! so much faster than what I was working on before!

• Lauren B says:

Hello Alexander, just wanted to say the above helped me so much!!! I searched many forums and articles and you were the only one that had the answer. Thank you

8. Kris says:

I need to show whether the time elapsed between 2 dates is within the required time frame.
    I have generated the different between the 2 dates using:
    =INT(W4-C4)&" days "&TEXT(W4-C4,"h"" hrs ""m"" mins """)

And then want to use a simple IF formula to determine if it's within the time frames:
    =IF(Y4>K4, "No", "Yes")
    where
    Y4 is the cell with the first formula
    and K4 is either 0 02:00, 1 00:00 or 5 00:00 (in custom format dd hh:mm)
    This seems to work fine for the 2 hours and 1 day option but "Yes" is always return for the 5 day option.

I've also tried this where the first formula is a simple =W4-C4 and i have the same issue.

Can you help please?

• Hello!
      The formula in cell Y4 returns text. Therefore, you cannot compare text value with > or < .
      In cell Y4, enter the time in the time format. For example, 2 days is 48:00:00.
      Remember that date and time in Excel are numbers.
      Try this formula

=IF((W4-C4) > K4, “No”, “Yes”)

I hope my advice will help you solve your task.

9. Nauris says:

Hi, I'm having a classic problem with a graph being messed up because I have midnight time in my data.
    I solved this once year's ago, but have since forgotten and can't find the answer. Was it something to do with writing that midnight time as decimal number?

10. Jaafar Almadhari says:

I was wondering if anybody can help me with this:

In an Excel sheet, I have accumulated deducted minutes in cell D1 displayed like this:

146:50 (146 hrs & 50 minutes)

cell formatted as: [h]:mm

I want to display deducted time in 3 separate cells like this:

H10 G10 F10
    18 2 50
    (days) (hrs.) (min.)

** each 8 hours = 1 day deduction

Thanks in advance,
    Jaafar

11. Melandri Van der Wal says:

Hi Hi!

Would you please assist me on a formula / function that can convert the following:
    03Hrs15Mins06Secs to just the numbers eg. 03:15:06
    34Mins04Secs to eg. 00:34:04

thank you so much!

12. Derrick Robinson says:

Hi & thanks for your most excellent site, it has come in handy for me so many times!

I have a problem where I'm trying to calculate the difference between two datetimes like this

Start: 29/Nov/21 11:52 AM
    End: 1/Dec/21 5:38 PM

Excel nicely converts the above when pasting in to the cells A2 & B2 as follows:

A2: 29/11/2021 11:52
    B2: 01/12/2021 17:38

C2: =B2-A2 returns the difference, expressed by Excel as: 02/01/1900 05:46

D2: =int(C2) returns the days, expressed by Execl as: 2 (format cell to number)

E2: =MOD(B2-A2,1) gives me just the time, expressed by Execl as: 05:46:00

So, I can use the above to deterrmine days & hours. If I use 8 hours as a working day, 2 days equate to 16 hours, plus the 5:46, would equate to 21:46 hours:minutes.

1. I'm wondering if there's a better way than the above?

2. My second problem comes from having to account for weekends (non-working times).

I have no idea how to do this. I suspect I'd have to use a calendar?

Would really appreciate your thoughts.

Many thanks,

Derrick

13. Melandri Van der Wal says:

Hi I need to convert the following:

The original data is 03 Hrs 11 Mins 00 Secs and i need it is look like this 3.11

I hope you can help me!

Thanks so much!

14. Karabo says:

Good day Alexander Trifuntov

I am trying to convert 30d21h45m into hours on excel using a formula, could you please help.

15. Bernard Kraft says:

Looking to average out two columns of numbers based on hours and minutes to find the mean time. Looking for
    whole hour and minute total. Help would be appreciated.

Count Average Time Total Time
    3 0.479166667 34:30:00 (34 hours, 30 min, 0 sec) [H]:MM:SS turns into 1/1/1900 10:30:00AM
    3 8:16:20 24:49:00

16. sally says:

hi. i have a problem. i want to convert 176hrs to 160hrs. the formula for 176hrs is 1/7/1900 8:00. can you please help me convert it to 160 hrs? i really need the solution asap. really appreciate it. thanks

17. Bipin Patel says:

How do I convert 44,694:30 hours to 44,694.5? I can't find formula here.

44,694 hours and 30 minutes to convert in decimal.

18. Josh says:

Is there a potential solution for correcting the formatting. When Pasting time values from different systems they will show the minuets as hours and others will be correct. This is causing issues with my data tables.

19. nancy says:

I have a track result in a form of 2:04.66 (=2 minutes, 4 seconds, 660 milliseconds). What is the formula to convert the original value to seconds, i.e. 124,66?

20. Poida22 says:

Similar to Robert says:
    February 6, 2021 at 11:37 am
    Can I please have 1 days 4 hours 21 mins converted to 28.21 in Excel

I am importing travel time from google maps such as above so my cell contains let's say
    16 hours 20 mins
    Id like this to be 16.33 so I can charge it out multiplied by an hourly rate.
    Love your help with this. (I'm actually using MS Access) if that makes it easier or harder?
    Poida

21. Zen says:

Hi there,

How can I convert 12:00:00 AM to 00:00:00 and 12:00:00 PM to 12:00:00 in the same formula including both AM/PM, if I need to convert time to AM or PM accordingly?

I want to convert,
    12:39:46 AM in A2 to 00:39:46.
    12:04:14 PM in B2 to 12:04:14.

22. Bill Romano says:

I would like to convert 400 minutes to hours and minutes.... but I'd like to time displayed as 6 40 (where the 40 minutes are display using superscript.)

23. josh says:

Hi I've been trying a few different formulas to convert from time to an hour decimal but they're all giving me the same odd results.

eg. for A1*24

7:35 is producing 559.58
    10:00 is producing 562

I've made sure the format is decimal, and tried it in different ones but same issue. Any help would be awesome. thanks =)

24. Lee says:

When I type 05082021, I want it to show as 05/08/2021, and when I type 0957, I want it to show as 09:57
    Please help. I've tried everything I can think of.

25. Rain says:

I've used this formula:

=IF(INT(AF3-AD3)>0, INT(AF3-AD3) & " days, ","") & IF(HOUR(AF3-AD3)>0, HOUR(AF3-AD3) & " hours, ","") & IF(MINUTE(AF3-AD3)>0, MINUTE(AF3-AD3) & " minutes and ","") & IF(SECOND(AF3-AD3)>0, SECOND(AF3-AD3) & " seconds","")

and got this:

2 hours, 20 minutes and

How can I change it to decimal?

you help will be greatly appreciated.

26. Lee says:

All I need is a column to record date received and a column to record time received.
    I just want to type 250621 for the date, and see it as 25/06/2021.
    For the time I would like to type for example: 1315 and it show as 13:15.
    I've tried the formula tab and formatting cells, but getting nowhere.

27. Brandon says:

I have a column for duration. It varies from 22S to 17M 13S. Is it possible to create a formula to read this in 00:00:00 format? I can do something like =timevalue("0".&Left(C1,1)&":""&MID(C1,4,2)) for a duration of 2m 46s but that formula then wouldn't work for the next cell if it is 17m 59s. Is there a way to have one formula convert varying durations to the 00:00:00 format?

28. Carl says:

I am creating a sheet to calculate how much time it will take to perform a series of daily tasks. I have a set number of items that require 7 minutes of work per item. I.e. I have a wo that states standard time to complete 1 = 7 minutes so in my mind if I utilize military time as a decimal 0.12 * 150 = 18 which is incorrect If I state a whole number i.e. 7 * 150 = 1050. How do I get this to calculate expected time to complete to show as time and be correct?

29. Allan says:

don't know if you can help but kevin asked the same question of 5th feb
    I have task that need to be completed each different time but I am sure if I get the one calculation right it can be change for that length of time for example.
    1 task takes 20 mins over a week they do 392 which in my head is 20 x 392 = 7840 minutes
    my simple head is divide that by 60 to gat 130.67 but then if I use =CONVERT(M204,"mn","hr")/24 I get 5.44 that convert to 10 hours 40 minutes it seems which way I use a formula I get a different answer
    the other times are
    1 task x 20 mins
    1 task x 30 mins
    1 task x 75 mins
    1 task x 45 mins
    but I I can get the right formula changing the length of time should be easy …….. or will it
    what is the right formula for this to give me the right length of time in hours and minutes for all these jobs
    thanks in advance

30. Taz says:

Hi There,
    I need to convert 08:30:24 into hours and minutes only. tried with above but failed, Kindly help
    THanks
    Stay safe.

31. Sam says:

How could i convert shift times in to hours as a formula.

For example, if someone is working from 6am - 2 pm 5 days a week, how can I get the total hours worked calculated?

32. Haley says:

I am trying to keep track of my employees hours worked in Excel. I do not need to calculate their "In" and "Out" times, but instead calculate their bi-weekly total hours to ensure they do not go over their allotted 69 hours per month.

Example:
    Debra worked 31.45 hours for pay period 1 of 2.
    Right now I have =69-31.45 to show me how many hours she has leftover for the month. However, it is giving me 37.55 - which is incorrect.

How can I change the whole number in Excel from 100 to 60 so it will calculate her remaining hours?

I hope this makes sense! I have been on a hunt to figure this out - YouTube, Google, my Excel book and I cannot figure this out.
    Any help with this is SOOOO appreciated :)

33. Keyland says:

I'm trying to take a Start Time and add 1 minute per question being answered to calculate an end time.
    What I currently have:
    (F13) Time Format (HH:MM) Start Time: Manually enter Time "example. 21:00"
    (G13) Number Format Total Questions: =(Results!K3) "example. 153"
    (H13) End Time: =SUM(TIMEVALUE(F13:G13)) "Result: Error Value"

Could someone help me resolve the error?

34. Lisa Sheehan says:

How do you do the first example you shared if the time is greater than 12? for example, I have time 23:56
    and I would like to convert it to minutes. When I use this formula =(R11*1440) I am getting 14396 - this should be 1436. Why is this happening? Thanks!

35. Rahul says:

I want to convert minutes in HH:MM:SS format but condition is minute showing in General

For Example

Total min 200 is nothing but 03:20:00

Is there any formula to convert like mentioned above?

36. Robert Scott says:

I need to get the year, month, and day as separate integer values from a date such as 7/13/2014.

How do I do that?

37. Sheldon Zaccanti says:

am try to convert actual minutes to decimals such as 4.11 hours worked to equal 4.18 hours and 3.32 hours to 3.53 and so forth so it works like a time clock where 15 minutes =.25 -30 min =.5 45 minutes =.75 thank you in advance

38. Youssef Ouazzani touhami says:

bonsoir,
    j'ai un petit problème sur excel, c'est que j'ai besoin de créer des colonnes avec ces donnée

- column 1: Julianne day (1 to 365)
    - column 2: Solar time in decimal format (00:00:00) with interval of 5 min (from 1 to 12 for each hour))

mon problème c'est que j'arrive pas a trouver une formule pour gérer l'intervalle de 5min sur un ans.

merci

39. Shelley says:

Hello;
    Can you please help convert decimal 37.5 to hours and minutes.
    When converting a number under 24 hours the formula number/24 works but if totalling hours over a week, the formula does not work if the total goes over 1 day or 24 hours.

40. libbrecht says:

How to convert 9,30 in decimal 9,50 or 8,45 in 8,75.
    The times I receive in Excel are the effective times marked with a comma (none :)
    tnx

• Hello!
      The rounding of numbers in your examples occurs according to different rules. Therefore, I can not offer you a general formula for your two tasks. I recommend paying attention to the MROUND function. For your first example, the formula is suitable

=MROUND(A1,0.5)

• Hello Erica!
      Specify what you want to calculate. Your formula counts the time from 2 PM to 6 AM. And this is not 8, but 16 hours. If you want to calculate the time from 6 AM to 2 PM, then the formula is necessary
      = 2: 00 PM-6: 00AM
      To convert a result from time to number, use the formula
      = (2:00 PM-6:00AM) * 24
      And set the number format in this cell

41. Yudi says:

Hello dear..
    I am from Indonesia..
    How to stop auto convert number from general to custom
    ex.
    from 1. auto convert to 01.00
    from 10. auto convert to 10.00
    from 100. auto convert to 100.00.00

42. Geoff says:

I've downloaded a csv file that has a time on it but when I convert to Excel and use a formula on it it shows as the decimal equivalent of the number and not the time ,I cannot get to change to a time format that equals the original downloaded number/time

• Geoff says:

thank you but the issue I have would be say i wanted to concatenate 2 cells ..... one with contents CPark and the other 10:46 AM the concatenate function results CPark0.4486111111111111 rather than CPark10:46
        your suggestions effect upon the original 10:46 AM cell returns 12:26AM
        thank you for your help so far though

• geoff says:

sorry that is not the answer thanks Alexander although its probably on the right track
            I cannot find the solution anywhere on the internet

• Geoff says:

so when I use a look up to cross reference 2 sheets in the same workbook even though I have the concatenate correct it doesn't pick up the cell I need ...can anyone have a look at the file if I send it to them to see where Im going wrong please ? I'm sure its due to the time format mentioned above that even though they look the same in the cell ref they are not .....

43. Danielle Parizeau says:

In my excel spreadsheet I have column totally the number of hours in total (ex: from (9 am to to 10:30 am = 1.3) I would like to convert the 1.3 to 1.5. How add this function in my existing formula: =IF(k3≥J3,K3-J3,1-K3+J3)*L3..... L3 being the hours in total.
    Thank you!

44. Dave Chladek says:

I know I'm asking a lot here but could you explain how to convert "Duration in seconds (Unix)" to a readable format of years,months,weeks,days,seconds in Excel? I see all sorts of ways to convert date to date, etc but not "duration" of time in seconds! I need a way to convert it into a readable format of years, months, weeks, days, hours and seconds. I can do it in Perl, C and others but not in Excell. If you can help I have a few examples of what the end result needs to be in specific representations such as (11W) for 11 weeks or (13W2D) for 13 weeks and two days or (1Y26W6D) 1 year, 26weeks, 6days and even further. Here are a few examples...

Duration in Seconds:
    1) 6652800 and the output would be 11W or 11(W)eeks
    2) 8035200 and the output would be 13W2D or 13(W)eeks 2(D)ays
    3) 47779200 and output would be 1Y26W6D or 1(Y)ear 26(W)eeks and 6(D)ays
    4) 47779200 seconds and output would be 1Y6M5D3H16M51S or 1(Y)ear,6(M)onths,5(D)ays,3(H)ours,16(M)inutes,51(S)econds
    and/or convert years into months...
    5) 47779200 output to 18M5D3H16M51S or 18(M)onths,5(D)ays,3(Hours),16(M)inutes,51(S)econds

Does this make sense? I'm not in a big hurry so if this is to much at this time don't worry about it. I'll keep looking around and I want to say: I really appreciate your taking the time to help with your explanations and this web site, these examples and explanations some of my make daily stuff much easier and I really appreciate how you offer so much expertise to everyone.

Many Thanks!!
    Dave C.

• akashsaini says:

I will try with Mod formula but 2020 value showing wrong this will shows in filter as 2020 Jan to Dec but still running feb month and when we check in Ctrl+Shift+3 format in 2020 date then showing another date.

45. Sebastian says:

Hello everybody!
    I can't find within the answers … I'm having difficulties with changing minutes and second in format 35:12 into seconds. Result I am looking for should be 2112.
    Thanks"

46. Chai Yang says:

hour calculation - after sum total hour is 18:90: I want to I change from the 18:90 (18 hrs 90 min) in order to become 19 hrs 30 min. Can you I change it in Excel?

47. Hastings Wauka Mwale says:

Start 6:45 7:28 7:00 7:27 6:28 6:59 13:00
    Finish 22:48 23:00 23:35 22:15 22:54 22:31 22:03
    H:min 16:03 15:32 16:35 14:48 16:26 15:32 9:03
    How do we add these hours and mins to hours only in Excel?

48. Brian says:

Trying to convert to below to minutes with out text

Notify to Last Assign Transit Time Total In Progress Time Turnaround Time
    1h 14m 1m 40m 58m

49. Michael says:

Creating an Excel spreadsheet to use as a time card to keep track of the hours worked, I have used the formula =IF(end>start, end-start, 1-start+end) to reflect there are times I'll elapse (i.e. - go beyond midnight) to calculate the total number of hours. Now I need to convert that time into an hour and decimal minutes format to be able to calculate regular pay and overtime pay. How do I do that?

50. SUKHVINDER KAUR says:

I WANT TO ADD TIME VALUE AS U/M:-
    A1 = 93:01:00
    B1 =13349:50:00
    C1 = REQUIRED FORMULA TO ADD ABOVE MENTIONED TIME VALUE.
    THANKS

26/12/2019 G 9.55 18.00 8.05 1.00
    27/12/2019 G 10.06 0.06 18.00 7.54 1.00
    28/12/2019 G 9.53 18.00 8.07 1.00
    29/12/2019 G 0.00
    30/12/2019 G 9.58 18.00 8.02 1.00
    31/12/2019 G 9.58 17.09 0.51 7.11 1.00

kindly solve this how we calculated the total working hour's in that sheet
    here is mentioned that in time and out time and difference how many hour's working an employee in our office and after how to calculate total working hour's in a month kindly reply

Thanks.

52. Shahid says:

Please support how to convert time into hours duration i.e. OUT Time 10:23:28 AM and IN Time 7:27:31 PM need to calculate the duration in Excel for bulk data.

Thanks.

• Hello Shahid,
      If you need the time difference in hh:mm:ss format, here is the formula for you:
      =IF(A2<A1, A2+1, A2)-A1

Supposing the IN time is in A1 and OUT - in A2. If however, you need it to be a just number, the following formula will do the job:
      =HOUR(IF(A2<A1, A2+1, A2)-A1)+MINUTE(IF(A2<A1, A2+1, A2)-A1)/60

53. Jitin Kaushik says:

How can convert 1 productivity = 8:30 hours in excel sheet example .5 = 4:15hours and .25 = 2 hours
    Time difference 15,30,45,60 minutes

54. Khatijah Nasir says:

How to format hours by using IF...
    Let's say I want from 06:00am to 22:00pm be "morning" and 22:00pm to 06:00am be "night".
    Thank you.

• Michael says:

55. AJen says:

Thanks for the tutorial and for answering questions. I'm trying to convert a cell that is 'x days, y hours, z minutes, and t seconds' into minutes. I've tried a few of the recommended solutions however none have worked. What might I be missing or have wrong (i.e critical spacing I'm adding/missing or a specific format I need to have in the answer cell)? Also note, sometimes days, hours, , minutes, and/or seconds might have a 0 value. Often when I type them in the first referenced cell is highlighted like normal but every referenced cell following is not highlighted. Thanks in advance for your help. Here are the suggested formulas I've tried:
    =INT(LEFT(C8 ;FIND("days"; C8) - 1)) * 24 * 60 + INT(MID(C8 ; FIND(" "; C8) + 1; FIND("hours"; RIGHT(C8 ; LEN(C8) - FIND(" "; C8))) - 1)) * 60 + INT(MID(C8 ;FIND(" "; C8;FIND("hours"; C8))+1;FIND("minutes"; C8)-FIND(" "; C8 ;FIND("hours"; C8)) - 1))

And I've tried this one:
    =IF(ISERROR(FIND("day", A1)), 0, INT(TRIM(LEFT(A1, FIND("day", A1) -1))) * 24 * 60) + IF(ISERROR(FIND("hour", A1)), 0, INT(MID(A1,IF(FIND("hour",A1)-6<0,1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND("hour",A1)-6)),FIND("hour",A1)-IF(FIND("hour",A1)-6<0,1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND("hour",A1)-6)))) * 60) + IF(ISERROR(FIND("min", A1)), 0, INT(MID(A1, FIND(" ", A1, FIND("min", A1)-6), FIND("min", A1)-FIND(" ", A1, FIND("min", A1)-5))))

56. Nor Hashim says:

Thank you, Svetlana! For weeks, I have been looking all over for help that covers all my need for time/date conversion. Your answers work perfectly with my data!

57. Ville says:

Is there a format type or other way to quickly type hours to cell?
    For example I want to add time 21:00 by typing only "21".
    I have tried multiple different formats and if I type "21" it turns out 0:00.
    Any idea about the format I should use?

58. RAKESH says:

HELLO DEAR,
    CAN I CONVERT NUMBER FORMET FOR EXAMPLE 1.75 IN TO TIME FORMET FOR EXAMPLE 1.45 HOURS IN MS EXCEL.

• Navish says:

I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONVERT NUMBER FORMAT (FOR EXAMPLE 1.75 IN TO TIME FORMAT WHICH IS 1.45 HOURS) IN MS EXCEL.

> FIRSTLY, CONSIDER 1.75(WHICH IS IN GENERAL FORMAT) IN CELL A1. USE THE FORMULA IN CELL A2 AS =A1/24(THIS IS LIKE YOU ARE CONVERTING IT INTO HOURS). YOU WILL GET THE VALUE 0.072916667(WHICH IS GENERAL FORMAT).
      FINALLY, SELECT THE CELL A2 AND CONVERT INTO TIME FORMAT('HOME' TAB > GENERAL TO 'TIME'), YOU WILL GET THE VALUE 01:45:00.

• Emily says:

Navish, is there a way to do it the other way? If I have a time (let's say 8:30), how do I convert it to 8.5 in number format in excel?

Thank you!

• LaRae says:

Figured it out. Have four columns: A start time column, an end time column, a difference in time (hh:mm) column, and a decimal time column (hours). Format the first three as time and the last as general. For the start time and end time columns, make sure it is in military time and you have the date entered in the cell as well (it should only show the time when not clicked on). In the time difference column, do a function (use =) and subtract your end time from your start time. This should appear in "hh:mm" format. In the final column, use this equation: =CONVERT( cell ,"day", "hr"). Replace the 'cell' part with your desired time difference cell. It should look like "=CONVERT([@[Hours (time)]],"day", "hr")" in the formula bar when you are done, with a box highlighting your desired time difference cell. This should convert your time in hh:mm to hours as a decimal. I used this to add my difference in hours into a total numeric value.

For example, lets say I volunteer from 1 pm to 2:30 pm every saturday for a month (4 weeks). that is 13:00 and 14:30 in my first and second columns (respectively) for the first four rows. In all of my third columns (time difference) for the first four rows, it should read "1:30". In my final column, it would read "1.5". I can then add my final column together to get a total of 6.

• LaRae says:

You may be able to get it into three columns if you do a compound function to combine the third (time difference) and fourth (decimal time in hours).

59. Shaun says:

This is a small sample of my data that I need to convert to [h]:mm.
    I can remove the words days, hrs and mins, although it's sort of a manual process by replacing them with nothing.
    I will be adding it all up and providing some statistical info on the changes, as there are two columns with similar data. One for before and another for after. Sometimes the second column has no value, contains the word "Removed" or is Zero "0 mins".
    1 days 7 hrs 49 mins
    6 hrs 10 mins
    14 hrs 25 mins
    8 hrs 50 mins
    18 hrs 4 mins
    17 hrs 58 mins
    1 hrs 21 mins
    4 days 2 hrs 34 mins
    2 days 20 mins
    I need help. I found something similar, but not quite the same. Also it's been written in a function. I know I have to call a function, but am not totally sure how this would be done.
    Thanks for any assistance or if someone can write a macro or VBA code for me?
    Much appreciated.

60. Shaun says:

I have time format in 1 days 3 hours 24 minutes.
    I need to change this to actual hours and minutes.

Any help much appreciated.

61. Alex says:

Is there a way to convert from 1 to 6 digits in a column to time HH:MM:SS
    110759 11:07:59
    110739 11:07:39
    110723 11:07:23
    41727 04:17:27
    41714 04:17:14
    124 00:01:24
    106 00:01:06
    48 00:00:48
    24 00:00:24
    I use the Text to column, fixed width function but , when they are not the same number of digits in a row they do not split properly.
    Tried the Custom format by adding 0 in front of the digits and it shows 6 digits in each cell but when I try to use the Text to column it ignores the format.
    Any ideas?

62. Brock says:

I am trying to calculate lap splits for track athletes. I would like to calculate this in minutes, seconds and hundredths of a second. If I have elapsed time entered into a spreadsheet. Is there a formula that would calculate lap splits?

63. Kevin says:

I am creating a sheet to calculate how much time it will take to perform a series of daily tasks. I have a set number of items that require 7 minutes of work per item. For instance, on Monday, there are 24 items that take 7 minutes each, for a total of 168 minutes. I need a formula that shows how many hours and minutes it will take. I can do the math myself and know that it takes 2 hours and 48 minutes (2 hours=120 minutes, plus 48 minutes). How do I get this to work in Excel?

64. Jack says:

Please help. I want to convert the following duration to a decimal Date/Time value:
    Input: 0 13:15:20
    Input format: d hh:nn:ss
    D=days
    h=hours
    n=minutes
    s=seconds
    Output required: eg: 0.5523
    A decimal value of the duration.
    Thank you for any help.

65. Vivek Wadhawan says:

Hi Svetlana,

I have a question,

How can I get the difference between "1/29/2019 9:48:13 AM" and "1/27/2019 12:06:36 PM" in "HH:MM:SS" format, what formula I should use for such cases ?

Thanks is Advance

Vivek Wadhawan

• Terry Westra says:

I have DD:HH:MM:SS and need to convert to decimal value. You're saying I have to first change to [h]:mm:ss or hh:mm:ss (somehow) and then convert? I don't see any direct way to go from dd:hh:mm:ss to decimal value in any of the formulas. hh:mm:ss to decimal is very straightforward, but adding days to it doesn't seem to work.

• Nguyễn Tiến Hải says: