Easily print comments in Excel

In this article you'll learn how to print comments in Excel 2016, 2013, 2010, and other versions. Read this post if your task is to get cell notes printed at the end of the spreadsheet or if you need to copy them to paper as displayed in your table.

Excel comments work perfectly if you need to add a note to remind somebody about the changes you made. This feature also streamlines work if you want to provide additional information without modifying your worksheet data. If cell notes is a vital part of your Excel documents then printing comments along with other data may be one of your day-to-day tasks. This can make handouts more informative and add helpful information to the daily reports for your boss.

It's possible to print comments at the end of your Excel worksheet or display them all and copy to paper exactly as they appear in your table, next to the cells they relate to.

Print comments at the end of your Excel worksheet

If notes in your Excel table are informative and their contents are clear even isolated from the commented cell, you can easily get them to paper at the end of the page. It's also better to print cell notes below the rest of the data if they overlap important details when displayed. It's doesn't involve any copying and pasting, just follow the steps below:

1. In Excel go to the Page Layout tab and find the Page Setup section.
    Go to the Page Layout tab and find the Page Setup section
  2. Click on the bottom-right expand arrow icon to get the Page Setup window appear.
    Click on the bottom-right expand arrow icon to get the Page Setup window
  3. On the Page Setup window click on the Sheet tab, then click on the down arrow and select the option At end of sheet from the Comments drop-down list.
    Select the At end of sheet option
  4. Click the Print... button.
    Press the Print... button

You'll see the Print Preview page in Excel. If you scroll down, you'll find the comments with their cell addresses ready for printing.
Use this option for the comments that contain complete information

Use this option for the comments that contain complete information you need to get visible on paper.

Excel - print comments as displayed

If your notes closely relate to the cell information, it may be ineffective to print them at the end of a sheet. In this case you can print comments in Excel 2010-2016 as displayed in your table.

1. Open your table in Excel, go to the Review tab and click on the Show All Comments option.
    Go to the Review tab and click on the Show All Comments option

You'll see your cell notes displayed.

Tip. On this step you can also change the way the comments are shown by drag-n-dropping to make sure that important details are visible and not overlapped.
  2. Go to the Page Layout tab and click on the Print Titles icon.
    Click on the Print Titles icon under the Page Layout tab in Excel
  3. You will see the Page Setup window. Click on the small down arrow next to the Comments drop-down list and select the option As displayed on sheet.
    Select the As displayed on sheet option
  4. Press the Print button to preview the page. You will get the comments at a glance.
    Preview the comments before printing

Now you know how to print comments in Excel 2016-2010 as displayed or at the bottom of the table. If you want to become a real comments guru and learn how to make the best of cell commenting, check out the post we published not so long time ago named How to insert comments in Excel, add pictures, show/hide comments.

That's it! My comments have been successfully printed. Now I'm looking forward to your comments and questions. Be happy and excel in Excel!

You may also be interested in:

22 Responses to "Easily print comments in Excel"

1. Alisa says:

Thank you so much! Had no idea where to find this!

Thank you so much.

3. bobby says:

How can I print the comment page "at the end" with the cell name changed from "A1:A3", etc with a name, i.e. "Bobby"?

Thanks a lot . .

5. fareeth says:

Hai,
    Thank u for the post, I Need to know is there any way to extent the arrow line. If yes pls let me know

6. David says:

Thank you sooo much for this post. Your are a true blessing. This is what I needed. God bless you.

7. NGA BELLINO says:

Thought-provoking analysis - I am thankful for the points . Does anyone know if my assistant could get access to a fillable Form 101192 PG version to use ?

8. Dana says:

I have inserted an image in my comment. How can I print it?

9. Dede says:

It isn't working for my Excel 2010 .xlsx document. Everything is set as instructed, but I can't get comments to print as displayed on the page. Any thoughts?

10. dillibabu says:

was very usefull

11. Shanmugam says:

Good Post but it's only printing the cell note in printed papers. is it possible to save the same in our excel worksheet that's in soft copy...?

12. tanea says:

super super super

13. Josh says:

I am trying to do this with a picture but the it is not coming out. Why?

14. David Harford says:

Can I print a comment from a data page in a pivot table report

15. Jose Uthuppan says:

I am thinking of getting your ablebits quicktools to facilitate picture insertion into a Comment. In excel it gets tedious. Just curious,,, would it also be able to print those Comment pictures at the end of the sheet. The option available within excel would only do it for text comments and not pictures. Or do you have other tools that would do it.

thx,
    jose
    610-349-0458

16. Gary Hahn says:

Spent 2 hours on chat with Microsoft and never got comments to show. On old computer running Office 2008 for Mac they show but same workbook on new iMac with Microsoft Excel for Mac V 16.16.11 they will not print or show in preview. Any idea what the difference could be. What version are you using to print. Microsoft person even rolled me back to previous version and comments still won't print.

Thanks for any help you can offer.