Swap Ranges easily switches columns, rows, and cells in one or two tables. Exchange ranges, preserve formatting, and choose how to process references without copying to temporary cells or writing VBA macros.
Before you start
We care about your data and suggest you always create backup copies of your files. A special option of the tool will do that for you if you select it.
How to swap data ranges in Excel
Open your table and run the tool by clicking the Swap icon in the Transform group on the Ablebits Tools tab:
Tip. You can highlight both ranges in Excel before you click the Swap icon by keeping the Ctrl key pressed.
Adjust the tool's settings to achieve the needed result:
- Select the columns you want to swap. Click on the Select range icon in the Select range 1 field to pick the first range. Then click on the same icon in the Select range 2 field and select the second column.
Tip. Your second range can be in a different Excel worksheet.
Tip. You can click on the Select range icon in the Select range 2 field and pick the top left cell of the second area for swapping. Then click OK and the add-in will automatically select the second range that will be exactly the same size as the first one.
- Choose what to do with references in the selected ranges if you have any:
- Adjust cell references to have them changed as they are pasted to the new cells.
- Select Keep cell references to leave them unchanged.
- Delete cell references by selecting the Paste values only option.
- If you have special formatting in the columns you want to switch, tick the Preserve formatting checkbox to keep the current fill and font colors.
- Choose to Back up this worksheet and automatically get a copy of your original data.
Click Swap to switch records in the selected ranges.