Ultimate Suite for Excel includes a feature that is handy if you need to convert text. You can convert numbers stored as text to number format, replace irrelevant characters and line breaks with the chars you need, and even change the accented characters to their non-accented equivalents.
Before you start
We care about your data. The add-in will back up your worksheet if you select the corresponding option.
How to convert text
Click the Convert icon on the Ablebits Data tab, in the Text group:
You can see the Convert Text pane:
- Select the cells where you need to convert values.
- Click the Expand selection icon to select the whole table.
- Sometimes numerical data in worksheets is formatted as text. It often happens when digits are imported from a database. Choose this option to change text to number format.
- Your worksheet may contain some characters which you need to replace with other ones. Select Convert characters, enter all characters which you want to change, and then type in the character(s) that will replace them.
- Pick this option to convert line breaks to the characters you need. You can choose a standard replacement for the carriage returns in the dropdown list: a semicolon, a comma, a dot, or a space. Or, enter a different character(s) in the field.
- Choose this option if you want white spaces to be replaced with some other character.
- This option comes in handy if you need to replace the accented chars with regular ones.
- We recommend always selecting the Back up this worksheet checkbox so you never lose your data.
Click the Convert button to get your result.