How to change Google Sheets date format and convert dates to numbers and text

Dates are an inevitable part of Google Sheets. And like many other concepts of spreadsheets, they require a bit of learning.

In this tutorial, you will find out how Google stores dates and how you can format them for your better convenience. Some date formats are offered to you by spreadsheets while others should be created from scratch. There are even a couple of handy functions for the task.

I also describe a couple of ways of how to convert your dates to numbers and text if necessary.

How Google Sheets formats dates

First things first: before any activities related to dates in spreadsheets, it's crucial to understand the core principles of how dates work.

For its internal database, Google Sheets stores all dates as integer numbers. Not sequences of a day, month, and year as we got used to seeing, but simple integers:

• 1 for December 31, 1899
  • 2 for January 1, 1900
  • 102 for April 11, 1900 (100 days after January 1, 1900)
  • and so on.

Unlike Excel that cannot store dates as negative numbers, in Google, for dates prior to December 31, 1899, the numbers will be negative:

• -1 for December 29, 1899
  • -2 for December 28, 1899
  • -102 for September 19, 1899
  • etc.

Regardless of how Google Sheets formats dates for you to see in cells, spreadsheets always store them as integers. It's an automatic Google Sheets date format that helps to treat dates correctly.

Tip. The same goes for time units – they are merely decimals for your table:

• .00 for 12:00 AM
  • .50 for 12:00 PM
  • .125 for 3:00 AM
  • .573 for 1:45 PM
  • etc.

A date paired with time is kept as an integer with decimal places:

• 31,528.058 is April 26, 1986, 1:23 AM
  • 43,679.813 is August 2, 2019, 7:30 PM

Change date format in Google Sheets to another locale

Another important thing to keep in mind is your spreadsheet locale.

The locale is what presets your Google Sheets date format based on your region. Thus, if you're currently in the US, 06-Aug-2019 will be put as 8/6/2019 in your sheet, while for the UK it'll be 6/8/2019.

To ensure the correct calculations, it's vital to have the correct locale set, especially if the file was created in another country:

1. Go to File > Spreadsheet settings in the Google Sheets menu.
  2. Find Locale under the General tab and pick the desired location from the drop-down list:

Change your spreadsheet locale to ensure the correct Google Sheets date format.

Tip. As a bonus, you can also specify your time zone here to record your file history in it.
Note. The locale doesn't change the language of your Sheets. However, the date formatting will be applied to the entire spreadsheet. Everyone who works with it will see the changes, no matter their place on the globe.

How to change date format in Google Sheets

If dates in your tables are formatted inconsistently or all you can see is strange sets of numbers instead, don't panic. You simply need to change the date format in your Google Sheets using built-in instruments.

Default Google Sheets date format

1. Select all cells you'd like to format.
  2. Go to Format > Number in the spreadsheet menu and pick Date to see the date only or Date time to get both date and time in a cell:

How to format date in Google Sheets.

The integers successfully turn into the format that you'll recognize at a glance. These are default Google Sheets date formats:

Automatic format (integers) vs. date format.

Tip. You can find the same formats if you click on the 123 icon on the spreadsheet toolbar:

Another way to change date format in Google Sheets.

Custom date formats

If you don't like how Google Sheets formats dates by default, I won't blame you. Luckily, there's plenty of room to improvise thanks to custom date formats.

You can access them from the same Google Sheets menu: Format > Number > More formats > More date and time formats:

Google Sheets custom date and time formats.

You will see the window with lots of different custom date formats available. Whichever one you chose and apply, your dates will look the same:

Apply custom formats from the list.

If you're still not happy with the appearance of your dates, you can tailor your own custom date format:

1. Select cells you want to format.
  2. Go to Format > Number > More formats > More date and time formats.
  3. Place the cursor into the field at the top that contains the date units and delete everything with your Backspace or Delete keys:

Remove the existing custom date format.

4. Click the arrow to the right of the field and pick the unit you'd like to have first. Don't forget to type the separator afterwards.

Repeat till all necessary units are added (no worries, you'll be able to add or remove them later):

Add as many units to your custom date format as you need.

5. Notice that each unit has double arrows to its right. Click them and you'll be able to adjust the exact way to display the value.

Here's what I can choose for Day:

Choose how the day should look in your date format.

This way, you can edit all values, insert additional and delete obsolete ones. You are free to separate the units with various characters including commas, slashes, and dashes.

6. Once you're ready, click Apply.

Here's what format I've created and how my dates look now:

Google Sheets custom date format anew.

QUERY function for Google Sheets to format dates

There's one more way to change date format in Google Sheets – with a formula, of course. Since this is not the first time of me showing QUERY to you, I'm starting to think of it as a real cure-all for spreadsheets. :)

I have an example table where I track the shipment of a few orders:

My table with shipped orders.

I want to change the date format in column B. Here's my QUERY formula:

=QUERY(A1:C7,"select * format B 'd-mmm-yy (ddd)'")

• first, I specify the range of my entire table – A1:C7
  • then I'm asking the formula to return all columns – select *
  • and at the same time re-format column B the way I put into the formula – format B 'd-mmm-yy (ddd)'

The formula works like a charm. It returns my entire table and changes date format in column B:

Change date format in Google Sheets with the QUERY function.

As you may have noticed, to change the date format via the formula, I used special codes that represent different looks of days, months, and years. If you're not familiar with them, here's a list of these codes for dates:

Code Description Example
yy
Two digit year 19
yyy
or
yyyy
Full numeric year 2019
Tip. If you'd like to supply your date format with time as well, you need to add codes for time units. You will find the full list of time codes in this guide.

Using these codes, you can format the dates in so many ways:

• Get the hold of the year, month, or day only:

=QUERY(A1:C7,"select * format B 'yyyy'")

• Return the day, month, and the day of the week:

=QUERY(A1:C7,"select * format B 'dd mmmm, dddd'")

By the way, what date format have you got used to? :)

Google Sheets: convert date to number

In case you need to see numbers instead of dates, one of the methods below will be useful.

Convert date to number by changing the format

1. Select those cells with dates that you want to convert to numbers.
  2. Go to Format > Number and this time pick Number among other options.
  3. Voila – all selected dates have turned into numbers that represent them:

Convert Date format to Number format.

DATEVALUE function for Google Sheets

Another way for Google Sheets to convert date to number is by using the DATEVALUE function:

=DATEVALUE(date_string)

where date_string represents any date in the known for spreadsheets format. The date should be put in double-quotes.

For example, I want to convert August 17, 2019 to a number. All the formulas below will return the same result: 43694.

=DATEVALUE("August 17, 2019")
=DATEVALUE("2019-8-17")
=DATEVALUE("8/17/2019")

Tip. If you're not sure whether Google Sheets understands the format you're about to enter, try typing the date into another cell first. If the date is recognized, it'll be aligned to the right.

You can also fill your cells with dates in one column, and then reference them in your formulas in another column:

=DATEVALUE(A2)

Google Sheets: convert date to text

Converting dates to text in spreadsheets is the task for the TEXT function:

=TEXT(number,format)
  • number – regardless of what number, date, or time you give to the function, it will return it as text.
  • format – the text will be formatted the way you specify in the formula.
    Tip. To set the format correctly, use the same codes as you did for the QUERY function.

The real-data formula may look like this:

=TEXT("8/17/2019","YYYY-MM-DD")

Here's how I converted my date – 8/17/2019 - to text and changed the format at the same time:

Google Sheets: convert dates to text and change the format.

This is it! I hope by now you know how to change date format in Google Sheets and convert dates to numbers or text. Feel free to share other cool ways in the comments section below. ;)

You may also be interested in

127 comments to "How to change Google Sheets date format and convert dates to numbers and text"

1. Yvette Harris says:

I have an query function that is combining all the date from 11 different tabs in google, but I can't seem to get my function right where it copies the dates from Column M.

=QUERY({Wagram!A4:AJ;SEARCH!A4:AJ;SHS!A4:AJ;Carver!A4:AJ;SycamorePrimary!A4:AJ;SycamoreElementary!A4:AJ;SpringHill!A4:AJ;SouthJohnson!A4:AJ;LaurelHill!A4:AJ;ABGibson!A4:AJ;Shaw!A4:AJ},"select * where Col13 is not null",-1)

M has a function in it in each of the 11 tabs where it adds 90 days to a different date on the same spreadsheet. It has something to do with the function not picking up the date or serial number...

All my dates in M will be less than 6/30/2023. I hope this helps.

2. Lou Piney says:

I have a format problem, concerning dates, I want dates in dd/mm/yyyy format, and I don't want useless 0 like 01/01/2022, but i want 1/1/2022. But some dates remain with useless 0 and don't changed into 2022 for example :

18/09/14 20/09/14 18/09/14 20/09/14
    14/10/14 25/09/19 14/10/14 25/09/19
    14/10/14 25/09/19 14/10/14 25/09/19
    14/10/14 25/09/19 14/10/14 25/09/19
    1/1/1980 7/7/2015 1/1/1980 7/7/2015
    2/12/2019 27/01/21 1/1/2020 17/01/21
    20/06/18 27/01/22 26/01/22 27/01/22
    10/9/2021 12/10/2021 10/9/2021 10/9/2021
    21/09/17 8/6/2020 21/09/17 8/6/2020
    8/11/2019 21/01/20 11/12/2019 11/1/2020
    24/05/18 8/6/2022 24/10/18 10/7/2019

Thanks for your answer.

3. Yash says:

I have a problem.
    When i enter 03/06/2022, it takes it as 3rd month which is march and date as 6. However, i want it to be 3 day of June.

Please see if you can help.
    Thanking you
    Yash

4. Nuria says:

Hello!
    I am using date-time format(dd,mm,yyy hh:mm:ss) and I would like to plot the date on one axis in the time in the other axis.

I think it is not possible and for this reason, I would like to separate the date and the time into two columns: in one the date, and in another one the time. Is there a query that can be used?

5. John Smith says:

I have a spreadsheet with dates expressed as dd/mm/yyyy but one individual cell incorrectly formats the output to mm/dd/yyyy and no matter how many times I've tried reformatting it to the correct format it won't display in the correct manner. Cells above and below display correctly, and reformatting all cells in the column also failed to correct this one cell. I've tried deleting the contents of the cell, removing formatting from the cell, copying formatting from other cells to no avail. While I can look at the data entry bar and see the correct date it doesn't display correctly in the cell. Any suggestions please?

6. Mike says:

Hello!
    My data exports in format "Mon Feb 21 10:58:16 UTC 2022" but I need to change this to some standard format such as "dd-mm-yyyy" (I don't care about the other exported info). Is there a way to do it with a formula? Or how else?
    Thank you!

7. Shaun says:

I have my date column as YR:MO:DY HR:MN:SE
    which is what I need, but my 'seconds' in that format have a decimal and additional digits, so the entry is longer that what is needed (only 2 digit seconds). Can I remove the decimal and all digits to the right via automated method which would leave only 2 digits for second data, or is that type of request not supported? (removing digits to the right of the decimal would still need to leave those same digits to the left of the decimal) Thanks.

8. Jon McClintock says:

Hi there,

Apologies if you've answered this a million times. I was trying to figure out how to make the cell following the one that I edited automatically update to the preceding date. So if I type 2/23, the next cell updates to 2/24 and so on. It seems like this is an automatic feature but it's not working for me. I do have the first cell entered as the word "Date" and then the next cell entered as Sunday, Feb,20, then I'd like the next cells to automatically update the dates.

I read about the custom date and time feature and did that. Also, I'm being picky here but I don't know why the date reads "Sunday, Feb 20," I wanted it to get rid of that last comma. Thanks so much!!

9. Jason Libagi says:

Good day! Please help me figure out this Google sheet formula where i am getting a decimal numbers instead of date format from other sheet. I am using the =importrange(datevalue(sheetname!entire column name:entire column name&2/5/2022 8:50:00)) this formula "unique(sheetname!column name:column name) is working when it isn't joined in many formulas. Please let me know how to fix this problem. Thank you.

10. Saran says:

When I’m using the keys to get current date and time. It gives the past date as xx/xx/1899. Please help me to fix this issue.

11. Damola Adediran says:

I keep getting an error when i run this query;

=QUERY(A2:N506,"select * format B,'d-mmm-yy (ddd)'")

I have tried it with different sheets and the result is the same.
    The error is #VALUE!

12. Damola Adediran says:

I keep getting this error when i run this query function

=QUERY(A2:N506,"select * format B,'d-mmm-yy (ddd)'").

I have tried it on different sheets and the result is the same .
    #VALUE!

13. Kristofer Haglund says:

Hello!

I've been ripping my hair out in regards to how Google Spreadsheet says it has Swedish formatting regarding to dates etc. but when I enter 20/1 (20:th of January) it flips it to 1/20, which is not how short dates are written in Swedish.

The most common way to write dates are d/m-yy and that format is not recognised as a date format at all. Depending on importance we do use dd.mm.yyyy or yyyy-mm-dd as well and those do work.

Is there a way to change this so that it recognises the dates as it should? It's really bothersome that the most common way to write something is regarded as unrecognisable...

• Kristofer Haglund says:

Hi, Natalia!

Thank you for your reply!

What you suggest only works when writing the whole date in the cell and then tell it to show something else. If I copy the format by using the formatting tool (or manually apply the custom date format) it still flips it to 1/20 instead of 20/1.

I am trying to make it easier to write the dates short and still use them as real dates, so the point is basically to rid the automatic formatting when entering new data in a cell as it is an error in regards to the regional settings. I have sent Google feedback on this issue several times and I'm trying to find a solution since it doesn't seem to be in their interest to fix it.

• Hi Kristofer,

Until Google Sheets changes the standard format for your region (which I wouldn't expect soon since it looks like they currently use the international standards. You can look up 'ISO 8601' on the Web to find out more), I'm afraid the suggested workaround with a full date is the only way to get the desired result (except for Apps Script, of course).

I wish I could help you better.

14. Shelley says:

I need to remove the timestamp and convert date to show only Month & Year, mmm-yyyy
    example - 28/11/2021 23:32:09 format to Nov-2021

Is there a way to do this in one formula and keeping Nov-2021 in date format not text?

15. SD says:

From importrange I am importing data. It's having date field in dd/mm/yyyy (05/08/2021) format. After successful import I am able to check the date showing correctly (05/08/2021). But the thing is here it's showing month as 05 or May instead of 08 or Aug.

16. Vékony Katalin says:

A little correction:

Instead of 102 for November 4, 1900 (100 days after January 1, 1900)

the correct date is 4/11/1900

17. Simon says:

I am auto importing some data (with the IMPORTRANGE function) into a spreadsheet that contains a column of dates in this format - 28/06/2012 13:02:28 - but the new imported data into the same column is in this format - 2021-09-28T08:52:17.436Z - which I need to automatically change on import to - 28/09/2021 08:52:17 - Could you help with how/if that is possible? Thanks in advance.

18. Cisca says:

I have a column with BOTH dmmyyyy (one "d" when the day is 1-9, ex: 1092021 represents September 1, 2021) and ddmmyyyy (2 "dd" when the day is 10-31, ex: 14092021 represents September 14, 2021).

How would I convert this into dd/mm/yyyy so google sheets will recognize it as the correct date ?

Thanks so very much!

• Hello Cisca,

Changing Number format won't help here because of the way Google interprets dates (as numbers).

You need to use the method suggested earlier in the comments: extract the necessary parts of your number as a day, month, or year accordingly. For example (supposing the number is in A2):
      =DATE(RIGHT(A2,4),MID(A2,3,2),LEFT(A2,2)) (for when the day is 10-31)
      =DATE(RIGHT(A2,4),MID(A2,2,2),LEFT(A2,1)) (for when the day is 1-9)

19. user says:

hello! in my calendar, the dates are appearing as mm/dd/yyyy and i would only like them to appear as a single double-digits number. is there anyway i can fix this? thank you

20. Alan Lockett says:

Hi, my sheet requires others to change dates. If one double clicks the cell shows a calendar from which to choose a new date. The problem is once changed, the new date reverts back to a default. How do I lock the format I want but still allow others to double click and change it from the pop up calendar. (Also how do I get the ticker you have on your site. Thanks. Alan

21. Aman says:

Hi, I am getting date in ISO 8601 format, how can convert it into days.
    Ex-date- 2021-02-22T17:18:40+00:00 , I am able to convert 2021-02-22 this part but how can I proceed with the remaining part.

• Hi Aman,

Supposing your ISO date is in A1, to get the time part as well, you can use this formula:
      =TIMEVALUE(MID(A1,12,8))
      Don't forget to apply the 'Time' format afterwards.

Or even get both date and time with one formula:
      =DATEVALUE(MID(A1,1,10))+TIMEVALUE(MID(A1,12,8))
      Don't forget to apply the 'Date time' format afterwards.

22. shubham shukla says:

hi
    i was trying convert date value which is in text data type into date data type i did try using DATEVALUE and TO_DATE combination to turn it into number data type but it is not changing i also tried using query function with format but it doesn't work to so pls can you suggest something it would helpful

23. Sad says:

Looks like a useful site/article, unfortunately the ridiculous ticker running across the bottom of the page is so distracting I gave up and left your site. Even the little minimise icon just makes it smaller, but no less annoying.

24. Mr Oron says:

How come you cant make the cells understand that they are dates. And sort them by date, month and year. Makes me think Im an iddeeet. Bye

25. LENG HOFILENA says:

I'm still having trouble with my google sheet. Despite changing the locale and time zone to UK and formatted the date, it still appears in MM/DD/YYYY instead of DD/MM/YYYY. Can I email my google sheet to you and have it checked?

Thanks.

• Hi Leng,

Sure, feel free to share your spreadsheet with us – support@apps4gs.com. Please also highlight cells that don't display correctly or reply here where to look at.
      Note. We keep that Google account for file sharing only and don't monitor its Inbox. Please do not email there. Once you share the file, just confirm by replying to this comment.

26. Scott Forney says:

Hi Natalia--thanks for all your comments above. I've got a quandary with Sheets automatically converting a string to a date when an array function is pulling values from cells with either two-digit or three-digit strings like "4 5" or "1 2 3". The displayed values are respectively "44291" and "37623", respectively. Other cells that the array function uses that are populated with four-digit or one-digit strings like "4 5 6 7" "1" are accurately reflected as displayed.

It's easy to replicate the problem by simply typing in the string and Sheets will automatically change the number to a date. And then you can force it to use Text as a format in that instance and it will be accurately displayed. However, choosing Text as the format of the affected cells in the array doesn't change the display.

Is there a way to somehow constrain the source cells to be pulled in as text rather than as a date? I couldn't find a function to do that and I can't just do a concatenate because of the complicated nature of how it's building the strings.

Thanks for your assistance!

Scott

27. Shuja Shaikh says:

Dear Natalia,

How can I change the timestamp from 10/20/2072 19:06:56 (this came when I did the importdata of the query) to 05/27/2021 09:33:56 (the actual timestamp from my query). But on our data warehouse the dates are correct like this (05/27/2021 09:33:56)

• Dear Shuja,

Go to File > Spreadsheet settings and make sure the locale and time zone are the same as in the correct spreadsheet.

If this doesn't help, consider sharing an editable copy of your spreadsheet with us (support@apps4gs.com) and specify where the formula is.

28. Rahul Kanojia says:

Dear

Please help in timestamp function
    i have applied Timestamp function in doer sheet its working but issue is that we he done work timestamp taking current Date & time for Example:

A Task Which Plan to do 25-05-2021 09:15 AM
    Doer Actual timestamp Do it 25-05-2021 09:20 AM

But When he open after an hours sheet Actual Time Showing Current date time

Please suggest here what can i do here
    i appropriate your positive response

• Dear Rahul,

If you use NOW() to stamp the time, please bear in mind that NOW is volatile function. It recalculates itself in all cells on each start and once anything at all is edited in your spreadsheet. There are 3 ways to change this behaviour:

1. Open the spreadsheet, go to File > Spreadsheet settings > Calculation and pick one of three existing settings for Recalculation.
      2. Enter static dates and time manually or using the following keyboard shortcuts:
        • Ctrl+; for date
        • Ctrl+Shift+: for time
      3. Or you may try to find a solution here – an overview of Google Apps Script with a lot of helpful content and links: https://developers.google.com/apps-script/overview
  29. Terence Fernandes says:

i am able to use datevalue to convert 04/11/2019 to 43773 , but i get #VALUE! while trying to apple samer datevalue to 6/25/19

i have tried cahnge the system dater as well
    I tried copying as values
    i tried formatting as text

no success

• Hello Terence,

Please consider sharing your spreadsheet where the formula doesn't work with us (support@apps4gs.com). If you have confidential information there, you can replace it with some irrelevant data, just keep the dates and their formats.

I'll look into it.

30. Jp says:

Hello, I am in a special configuration...

I have :
    Nov 5, 2018, 1:33:05 AM

I want : 05/11/2018 01:33

Impossible with Excel, and I tried with Google Sheet but it seems too difficult for me... :(

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
    JP

31. Madhur Shakya says:

I have been writing data in google sheet in DD-MM-YYYY but it has taken data in MM-DD-YYYY format, so when I sort the date, I am receiving wrong sequence

• Hello Madhur,

Dates in Google Sheets are always sorted from the newest to the latest or back. If you want to sort only by days or by months, you will have to either convert dates to text or extract days/month to a neighbouring column and use it to sort data.

32. Sabah says:

Hi and thanks for the great information.
    I'd like to convert the date to Solar calendar date but I couldn't find a way to do so.
    Could you please help me with that?
    warm regards

33. Desk_Jockey says:

Hi. I I've done concatenation of time stamp & text , with multiple entries in a single cell (based on some conditions).
    Everything is working well except sheet is not displaying it in chronological order.
    I guess sheet is reading whole thing as text. I tried To-Date formula before concat, but didn't work.
    Kindly help.
    I've also shared the sample to your support id.

arrayformula(IF({H2:H} "", CHAR(10) & text({B2:B},"dd/mm/yy hh:mm ---- ") & {H2:H} & char(10))
    02/03/21 21:20 ---- Test1 Test1Test1 Test1 Test1 Test1 Test1 Test1 Test1 Test1

27/02/21 06:54 ---- Test2 Test2 Test2 Test2 Test2 Test2 Test2 Test2 Test2 Test2 Test2 Test2

27/02/21 07:01 ---- Test3 Test3 Test3 Test3 Test3 Test3 Test3 Test3 Test3 Test3 Test3 Test3

34. Sharon Stapley says:

I am trying to sort by date but it is sorting alpha. I have changed the date format numerous time and it looks ok but still sorts alpha.

I have read everything I can find and have tried it all. Why won't it sort by date. I am using dd/mm/yyyy.

• Hi Sharon,

It looks like your dates are treated as text. If you're unable to change the format, for me to be able to help you, please consider sharing your spreadsheet with us (support@apps4gs.com). If you have confidential information there, you can replace it with some irrelevant data or remove it. Just keep the dates and their format intact. I'll look into it.

Note. We keep that Google account for file sharing only, please do not email there. Once you share the file, confirm by replying to this comment.

35. Steve says:

Great information.

I was wondering is there a way to force the person entering the date to use the format, we wish to use. So for example I have set the date format to 24-Feb-2021. If someone types in for example 24.feb.2021 it overwrites the format and displays it that way as text. Oddly, if I type in 02/24/2021 it autocorrects it to the format I have chosen 24-Feb-2021. Anyway to force the user to enter it in this (24-Feb-2021) format only? Perhaps locking the format?

Thank you.

• Hi Steve,

Thank you for your feedback.

When you apply the Date format to empty cells, all new dates entered into those cells are automatically displayed in that format.
      However, for that to happen, the date must be entered in any Date format Google recognizes as a date. Entering dates with periods won't work: periods turn your data into text automatically because periods are not used in Google Sheets dates. This is a very important concept to keep in mind.

Thus, I can only advise you to inform other people on the correct way to enter dates (without periods).

36. 2108 says:

I have downloaded US credit card transactions which I would like to analyse with UK credit card transactions. I have attempted to change the format using the Create Custom Format in Numbers which failed (I made sure to include the / separator). Looking for a solution in Numbers or Google Sheets to convert the US date format to a UK date format. The file download is in .CSV format. Many Thanks

• Hello,

Make sure the file you downloaded has a locale when you upload it to spreadsheets. This part of the blog post explains that.

If setting the locale doesn't help, please create a copy of the file, remove all credit card numbers, emails, etc, but keep the dates intact, and share this copy with us: support@apps4gs.com. I'll look into it.
      Note. We keep that Google account for file sharing only, please do not email there. Once you share the file, just confirm by replying to this comment.

37. Wing says:

Hi - I'm trying to convert a numeric value (202101) to 2021-01-01. I tried the default date format but it's returning 1/30/2453, please help. Thank you.

38. Natalie says:

Hello, I am converting a series of 6 text digits to a date

ex. 010721 -> Jan 7th, 2021

To do this I am using the function: =DATE(RIGHT(A1,2),LEFT(A1,2),MID(A1,3,2)), which works fine.

However, it automatically is forcing the year into 1921 rather than 2021.

How can I set it to recognize the two-digit year code as belonging to the 21st century?

• Natalie says:

Finally figured it out. For anyone who has a similar question, the solution can be as simple as adding 100 to the year in the formula.

ex. =DATE(100+RIGHT(A1,2),LEFT(A1,2),MID(A1,3,2))

39. Shailendra Singh Patel says:

I used query function to summarised date month and customer wise. there is date in col k and I used following query "=QUERY(Dashboard!A4:G,"select A, month (F)+1, sum(G) where A is not null group by month(F)+1, A label month(F)+1 'Month', SUM(G) 'GRN' format month(F)+1 'MMM'" ,1) but in result of month it is showing only jan while if I remove format function from my query then result is correct. please notify me where I am doing mistake

40. Cristiano Guilherme Dienstmann says:

We use a web application which export reports using ISO-8601, so the dates are like this:
    2020-11-12T00:00:00

But when we import the csv, Google Spreadsheet are unable to understand it as a date, keeping as text.

It's fairly simple to convert using text tools, but in scale it's time consuming for the users.

It's seems like a long known bug. Do you know something about, or have a tip for us?

Thank you in advance.

• Hello Cristiano,

For Google Sheets to treat a value as a date, it must be in one of the date formats sheets understand. Having T in the middle doesn't make that happen.

I'm afraid I can only suggest you replace T with a space. To avoid replacing all T's in the sheet, I'd look for parts of the text, e.g. find '0T0' and replace with '0 0'.
      If you find the standard replacement tool time-consuming or not really suitable for the job, feel free to check our Advanced Find & Replace add-on.

41. anonymous says:

If i wanted to chain the date sequence by a month like: 11/1/2020 to 12/1/2020 to 1/1/2020

how would i do that using the formula?

42. Carlos says:

I'm aware how to change and customize date formats but do you know of a way to permanently change the default to date format of MMMM dd or October 12 vs the sheets default? I have tried changing locale but still not working.

Thanks in advance.
    Carlos

43. Alissa says:

I'm trying to get sheets to display a specific date timeframe via using a formula:

=E2&" "&"-"&" "&F2

Instead of displaying dates from the indicated cells, it's showing numerical values ie:

44100 - 44106

When I want it to display:

9/26/2020 - 10/2/2020

How do I get sheets to display dates instead? I've already tried using variations of TO_DATE and DATE VALUE formulas with no luck.

44. Mina Kitsune says:

Hello, I'm doing history work and I want sheets to have the year 1467 to 1477 and I was trying to get it to show how long between two dates it was. However I don't want to have to use negative numbers constantly. Sheets assumes everything happens after 1900 by default. How do I change it?

=date(1470,1,1) right now prints out 01Jan3370

Currently I'm doing, where A2 is a number of Miles or Km and A3 is a speed in the proper measurements something moves. IE how long does it take a person on foot to travel from Akita to Kyoto if they start on Feb 3rd 1467. Once I know the answer in days I want to make it readable. I realize I could fake it with 1967 but I'd rather not do that. Esp if I turn it into a timeline that goes into the present day.

=rounddown(round(Distance!A$2/Distance!A3)/30) & " Months" & CHAR(10) &
    rounddown((round(Distance!A$2/Distance!A3)-rounddown(round(Distance!A$2/Distance!A3)/30)*30)/7) & " Weeks"& CHAR(10) &
    (round(Distance!A$2/Distance!A3)-(rounddown(round(Distance!A$2/Distance!A3)/30)*30)-(rounddown((round(Distance!A$2/Distance!A3)-rounddown(round(Distance!A$2/Distance!A3)/30)*30)/7)*7) & " Days")

• Hello Mina,

I'm afraid you can't change the way Google Sheets treats dates. By default, the first date there is 12/31/1899.
      For years between 0 and 1899, Google Sheets adds that value to 1900 to calculate the year. That's why you're getting 3370 when entering 1470 (=1470+1900).

To calculate the number of days between such dates, you can try formulas like this:
      =DAYS(DATEVALUE("1477-1-1"), DATEVALUE("1467-2-3"))

45. Hermann says:

Hi i have 1 problem with dates if i type 23/8 it must put in the date 23/8/2020 according to my farnatting but it doesnt it only show 23/8 as data and not a date because it reads the 23 as month if i type 8/23 then it show the date 23/8/2020. I need to type the month first and then the date for google sheets to read it as a date. If i type the date and then the month as with excel, google sheets does not read it as a date. This is very annoying. Please help

46. Muneer Akl says:

Hi Natalia,
    Thank you for the valuable information.
    my question:
    Is there is a clue to change the Language of the displayed month and day. for example to write NOT Saturday but Samedi in French, or "السبت" in Arabic.

47. Benyamin Limanto says:

Thank you. It's really helpful, After changing the region to Indonesia, my Full Day name inside the Column changed from Monday to Senin. That is really a big help!

This should be on the Google Docs Manual I think, because It's very useful, or maybe Google could endrose this kind of Community writting, it proven to be helpful for newbie like me :)

• Thanks a lot for your feedback, Benyamin.

I'm afraid since we're not affiliated with Google we can't affect what they describe in their Docs Editors Help. You can try leaving a feedback from one of their pages (there's a special link at the bottom of each page), but we don't know how they are processed.

Anyway, I'm glad you've found the solution here. :)

48. Scott Salas says:

I'm having an issue where my chart shows numbers instead of dates. Can't figure out how to change this.

• Hello Scott,

I'm afraid I need more details to help you out: your chart type, the format of your source data, and settings for your chart axis.
      Alternatively, you can share your spreadsheet with us (support@4-bits.com) with your source data and the chart, we'll look into it. Note. We keep that account for file sharing only, please do not email there. Once you share the file, just confirm by replying to this comment.
      Thank you.

49. Synonym says:

I have a major problem with dates in Google Sheets.

I need to calculate duration of Column B MM/YY to Column C MM/YY with DATEDIF in Column D. I've got the formula correct, that's not the problem.

The problem is that when I enter a date, such as 11/18, Google Sheets changes it to the current year, 11/20.

What's more, the date is maintained properly in the first cell in each column, but mutates in the successive cells.

I need to keep the dates as numeric or date formats so DATEDIF can calculate. When I change the dates to text formats, DATEDIF breaks.

How can I force Google Sheets to maintain the dates as numerals AS ENTERED and not "autocorrect" them to the current year?

50. Ankit Kumar says:

I have a problem in Google sheets
    If I use arrayformulawith if condition.how we change

13/05/2020 to 20200513
    Continued... By use of array formula