Random Generator for Microsoft Excel
Generate random names and numbers from a custom list
You can use Random Generator to create and save custom lists with names, numbers, notions, and other data. Your list is added to the standard Excel custom list. Then you can use our tool as a random name generator to get a list of names in your worksheets. Or you can easily obtain a random sample for testing purposes in Excel 2010-2003.
- Select a range in your worksheet that you want to fill with custom list values at random
- Expand the Custom list section on the Random Number Generator pane
- You will see several standard Excel custom lists. Select the necessary list by clicking on it.
- If you need to generate random custom list values without duplicates, tick the Unique values checkbox and all the generated values will be different. Click on the Generate and get random non-repeating names, numbers, etc. from your list.
- Say you need to use this add-in for generating random samples. For this you can add your own custom list with any type of data to the custom list section.
- To add your custom list, select the range with the needed items in your worksheet. It can be a column, row or a block of cells with data.
- Then press the New list button.
- Confirm your selection by clicking OK.
- Your new custom list, be there names or numbers you need to generate from, will appear among others under Custom list section.
From now on you can use this list to generate certain number of random names, numbers or get a sample of your data in Excel.
Custom list section makes it possible for you to generate new worksheets and give them custom list value names.
- To create worksheets named after custom list items, select the list with the values you need. Then click on the Create worksheets button.
- After that you will get as many worksheets as there are values in the custom list you selected. These worksheets will take the names of the custom list items.
It's possible to employ the plug-in as Random Name Generator to instantly get a random list of names in your Excel worksheets. If you have 30 names in your custom list, you may want to pick out just 10.
- In your worksheet select a range that you want to randomly fill with some of the custom list names.
- Expand the Custom list section on the Random Generator pane by clicking on the arrows next to Custom list.
- Select the necessary custom list, click the "+" button next to it or double-click on the list to see all the items it contains.
- Holding the Ctrl key on your keyboard, select the values from the custom list that you want to use in the selected range.
- Click on the Generate button and the add-in will pull the necessary number of random names and place then into your Excel sheet
- If you need to fill the cells with random list of non-repeating names you chose from the custom list, check the Unique values checkbox and all the generated values will be different.
- ABOUT US