Link Checker looks for valid, suspicious and broken links in Word documents. Do the following to find links in your file:
- Open your MS Word document with the links you want to check.
- Open the add-in by clicking on its icon.
- Select the range where the add-in will search for links.
- You can choose to scan the entire document by selecting the All radio button on the Page range section.
- You can choose to check only the page you are on if you select the Current page option.
- If you want to scan some particular pages of the document, select the Pages radio button and specify the initial and final pages' numbers in the corresponding fields.
- Use the Check external links box to search both bookmarks and hyperlinks.
- Click the Find links button and you will see the list of all found links on the Link Checker pane.
Work with the found links
Depending on the settings you select, the add-in will find good, suspicious and broken links in the document.
- Click on the link and you will navigate to it in your word document. If the link is suspicious, broken or external, you can see the comment to it in the Description section.
- If you need to see where the link refers you can right-click on it on the pane and pick the Go to destination option from the list.
- It is also possible to edit a link if needed. To do this, right-click on the link and select Edit. After that you will see the standard Word dialog box pop up allowing you to introduce the necessary changes.
Note. It is not possible to edit cross-references.
- You can also remove the link. Right-click on it in the link list on the pane and choose the Remove link(s) option.
Note. This will completely remove the selected link(s) from your document.Tip. You can delete several links at once by keeping the Ctrl key on your keyboard pressed and selecting the links you want to remove.
- Sometimes you may need to see the code field of all the links instead of their values. You can do this by right-clicking on the link and selecting the Show field codes instead of their values option from the context menu. It can be useful if the add-in detects a broken link but when you click on it in the pane it doesn't go anywhere. If you choose this option, you will see the codes of these "invisible" links so that you can edit or delete them.
How to Export the found links
You can export the found links to a new Excel or Word document for further reviewing.
To export the links, click the Export button on the add-in's pane and select Export to Word.
If you want to see the results in a new Excel workbook, click the same arrow and select the Export to Excel option. Then you will see a new table with the values.