Link Checker looks for valid, suspicious and broken links in Word documents. Do the following to find links in your file:
- Open your MS Word document with the links you want to check.
- Open the add-in by clicking on its icon under the AbleBits.com tab.
- Select the range where the add-in will search for links.
- You can choose the Entire document option to scan through the whole Word file.
- You can scan only a selected piece of the document if you choose Selection from the drop-down menu.
- You can decide to check only the page you are on, then select the Current page
- If you want to scan some particular pages of the document, choose Pages and specify the initial and final page numbers in the corresponding fields.
- Use the Check external links box to search both bookmarks and hyperlinks.
- Click the Find links button and you will see the list of all the found links.
Note. If you cancel the search when it is still in process, some links may be left unchecked. To see them, press Filter icon and then choose Unchecked.
Work with the found links
Depending on the settings you select, the add-in will find good, suspicious and broken links in the document
- You can choose to work with broken, suspicious, or valid links by clicking the Filter icon and selecting the type of the links you need.
- Click on the link and you will be navigated to it in your Word document. If the link is suspicious, broken or external, you will see the comment to it in the Description
- If you need to see where the link refers, you can right-click on it on the pane and pick the Go to destination option from the list.
- It is also possible to edit a link if needed. To do this, right-click on the link and select Edit hyperlink. After that you will see the standard Word dialog box pop up, allowing you to introduce the necessary changes.
Note. It is not possible to edit cross-references.
- You can also remove the link. Right-click on it in the link list on the pane and choose the Remove link(s)
Note. This will completely remove the selected link(s) from your document.Tip. You can delete several links at once by keeping the Ctrl key on your keyboard pressed and selecting the links you want to remove.
- Sometimes you may need to see the code field of all the links instead of their values. You can do this by right-clicking on the link and selecting the Show field codes instead of their valuesoption from the context menu. It can be useful if the add-in detects a broken link but when you click on it in the pane it doesn't go anywhere. If you choose this option, you will see the codes of these "invisible" links so that you can edit or delete them.
You can export the found links to a new Excel or Word document for further reviewing.
To export the links to a Word document, click the Export button at the bottom of the add-in pane and select Export to Word.
If you want to see the results in a new Excel workbook, click the same arrow and select the Export to Excel option. Then you will see a new table with the values.