Find Similar Cells is designed to find and select similar cells in Excel quickly and easily. Read the step-by-step instruction on how to use it.
- Select a cell in your worksheet that contains the value you are looking for:
- On the Ablebits Tools tab, in the Search group, click Find and Replace > Max Differences:
- Pick the number of characters that may be different between the value in the initially selected cell and the entries you want to find:
Note. The add-in is case-sensitive, i.e. it treats different cases of the same letter as different characters.
- Click the Find and Replace arrow and pick the area where the add-in will search for similar cells. You can choose to search in the current column, the current table, or the active sheet:
If you need to find identical matches, use the Select by Value
- The add-in will automatically select all similar cells:
Note. The tool scans and selects cells in the entire column/table/sheet, including headers.
Find Similar Cells works with values in the formula bar, not with the ones you can see in your cells. Depending on your cells' format, the values stored in the formula bar may differ from the ones you see, as in the screenshot below: