Combine duplicate rows in Excel
How to merge Excel duplicate rows into one
Combine Rows Wizard is an add-in for Microsoft Excel 2016, 2013, 2010 and 2007 specially designed for combining data from duplicate rows into one record.
Follow the steps below to merge duplicated rows in Excel.
- Open the workbook with the table where you need to combine duplicate rows into one record. Then open Combine Rows Wizard by clicking on its icon.
- You can select your table by highlighting it or by typing its address in the Select your table field manually.
- Click the Next button to combine duplicate records in Excel.
Key columns are the columns that will be checked for duplicate entries. You can select one or more columns to merge duplicate records into one.
- Tick the checkboxes next to the columns with the duplicated values.
- If you have a lot of columns in your table, take advantage of the Select All checkbox and all the checkboxes in the table with the list of columns will be checked. Then you can deselect those you don't need to match.
- It is also possible to indicate if there are header rows in your table. As a rule, the add-in indicates headers automatically. If it doesn't, you can check My table has headers. You can also uncheck this option if you want to include the first row.
- On this step you can choose to ignore empty cells. Select the Skip empty cells option and the add-in will not take them into consideration.
- Click on the Next button to merge duplicate rows in your Excel worksheet into one.
On this step you choose one or more columns with duplicate values in Excel to combine into one record. You will see a list of columns in the table that were not selected as key columns.
- If you have a really big table with numerous columns, you can benefit from the Select All checkbox.
- Tick the checkbox(es) next to the column(s) with the data you need to merge.
- Select a delimiter that will separate the merged values from the Choose delimiter drop-down list. You can either enter your own delimiter or select it from the predefined options.
- When you select a column in the list, you can see an arrow nextto the name of the column in the Delimiter If you need to choose a different delimiter for certain value, click on the arrow and pick the delimiter you need to separate the joined values from the drop-down list. You can choose among semicolon, comma, space or line break. It is also possible to enter any delimiter of your choice. To do it, click in the Delimiter field next to the column name and type the separator you need.
- On this step you can choose to remove duplicates or skip empty cells.
- Tick the Delete duplicate valuescheckbox if the columns with the matching values you need to combine into one record may contain identical items.
- Select the Skip empty cellsoption to avoid merging empty cells which can further result in extra blanks in your spreadsheet.
- Then click the Finishbutton and see that all Excel duplicate rows are perfectly merged.
The Combine Rows Wizard joined 32 duplicate rows in under 1 minute!