Programming IE add-ons
Develop Internet Explorer plug-in, BHO, toolbar in VB.NET, C#
Add-in Express for Internet Explorer and .net provides the easiest and most effective way for to customize Microsoft Internet Explorer with your own browser extensions. With Add-in Express you don't need to follow a complicated IE SDK way. You use visual designers and components to:
Speed up your IE add-on development
- IE SDK based programming model. Add-in Express programming model and run-time code are based on the Internet Explorer SDK and provide the most effective way to extend the IE GUI, access Internet Explorer objects and handle their events.
- Visual designers instead of coding. You use visual designers and components to customize the Internet Explorer menu, toolbar, add your own Explorer bars, access Internet Explorer objects and their events.
- One integrated solution. Add-in Express integrates all Internet Explorer extensibility features in one solution. You can create a new browser helper object (BHO), add custom commands to the built-in menu bar and toolbar, add your own items to the context menu, create a custom toolbar and Explorer bar, handle keyboard shortcuts, all within one project and one solution.
- 32 and 64 bit IE add-ons in one project. Add-in Express delivers its own 32-bit and 64-bit add-on loaders, automatically includes them in add-on setup projects and registers the loaders for both Internet Explorer versions, 32- and 64-bit.
- Easy deployment. Each of your Add-in Express based IE plug-ins is msi-based and web-enabled. Just build your IE add-on and its setup project and publish the resulting MSI to your deployment server.
More about IE add-on development with Add-in Express.
Add custom commands to IE commandbar, Tools or Help menu
Using a special component of Add-in Express, you can easily create your own commands, i.e. add a custom button to the IE commandbar, and add your custom items to the Tools or Help menus.
Usually each IE command should be implemented as a separate COM-object and registered in a special registry key. Add-in Express integrates all your commands in one collection with its visual designer.
Customize Internet Explorer context menu
Add-in Express provides the same quick and convenient way to extend IE context menus, or pop-up menus, with custom items. Instead of realizing and registering each item of the context menu as a COM object, you use the ContextMenu collection of the IE Module.
You can customize an IE pop-up menu for several contexts and have your custom items shown for anchors, controls, images, selection and tables. Internet Explorer allows you to customize context menus through specially prepared script files.
Advanced Explorer bars
With Add-in Express you can create an advanced Explorer bars, or side-bars, and develop a high quality UI for IE add-on users:
- The end user can hide and show your bar using the usual path in the IE main menu. The IE bar preserves its state, position and size between IE sessions.
- An advanced IE bar can be pre-docked to any side of the IE tab window. You can also set the IE bar to the desired position programmatically. The developer decides if users of the IE plug-in can drag the IE bar to a new dock position within a particular IE tab.
- The header of an Advanced IE Bar can be set at design time: icon, title, background, and font.
More about creating advanced Explorer bars.
Custom Internet Explorer toolbars
Creating custom toolbars with any controls is also an easy task. In Add-in Express custom IE toolbars are created as .NET user controls that implement all necessary functionality.
Just add an IE toolbar to your project, populate it with any controls and add the new toolbar to the Toolbars collection of your IE Module.
More about creating IE toolbars.
Create powerful IE add-ons with little coding
This is a summary list of what IE add-on developers can do using the Add-in Express visual designers, components and project templates:
- Build powerful Internet Explorer add-ons with a couple of clicks.
- Develop IE browser helper objects.
- Add custom commands to the built-in IE menu bar and toolbar.
- Add custom items to any built-in Internet Explorer context menus / pop-up menus.
- Create custom toolbars and populate them with any .NET controls and user control components.
- Develop custom vertical or horizontal Explorer bars (like the Favorites or History bars).
- Extend the IE built-in toolbar with new buttons.
- Extend the IE built-in menu bar with new items.
- Add new keyboard shortcuts.
- Access Internet Explorer objects and their events.
Find more details
Supported Internet Explorer versions
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.x (32- and 64-bit)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.x (32- and 64-bit)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.x (32- and 64-bit)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 10.x (32- and 64-bit)
- Visual Basic .NET
- Visual C#
- Visual C++ .NET
Visual Studio editions
- Visual Studio 2012 Professional, Premium, Ultimate
- Visual Studio 2010 Professional, Premium, Ultimate
- Visual Studio 2008 Standard, Professional, Team System
- Visual Studio 2005 Standard, Professional, Team System
Note. Visual Studio Express Edition is not supported.
- .NET Framework 2.0, 3.x, 4.0, 4.5
How to buy this product
Add-in Express for Internet Explorer as well as all other development components available on AbleBits.com are products of Add-in Express Ltd.
To purchase the product, please click the order link below. This will take you to Add-in Express's order page where you can review the subscriptions and prices and choose the one that is right for you:
Microsoft Visual Studio Industry Partner
Add-in Express Ltd. is a privately held software development company located in Homel, Belarus. Established in 1998, Add-in Express Ltd. focuses on tools and solutions purposed for Microsoft Office and IE integration. It has been a Microsoft Visual Studio Industry Partner for the last few years.
- ABOUT US