Split text to columns in Excel online
Split values by characters in Office 365
Use this simple add-in to quickly separate words from a cell into separate columns using any character as a delimiter. Once you insert the add-in into your spreadsheet, you can select standard delimiters or enter your own.
Follow these simple steps to split text to columns
- Select the column with the records you would like to divide. You can select a range of cells, as long as they are all in one column.
Note. If you select more than one column, the add-in will process values in the leftmost selected column.
- Tick off the delimiters used in your cells.
- You can pick standard delimiters: space, semicolon, line break, or comma;
- If the separator you use is not in the list, tick off the Custom check box to enter your own. You can type several characters; they are automatically taken in quotes and separated with a comma.
Use a combination of standard and custom delimiters to split such values as "ID 3564645, Name, Package: HGD63" by spaces, commas, and colons at the same time.
- To avoid empty cells when your text has two or more delimiters one after the other, choose to Treat consecutive delimiters as one. The add-in will not create an extra column in place of repeating delimiters.
- Click Split to get the results.
If there are enough blank cells to the right of the selected column, the add-in will fill them with the results. Otherwise, it will automatically add the necessary number of new columns to the right of your original data.