- Open the Measurement Units Converter pane by clicking on its icon.
- In your Excel worksheet select the range with the values you need to convert. You will see the address of the selected range in the Data Range field.
You can select a cell, a block of cells, a single column or several columns. You can do the same by clicking on the select range icon next to the Data Range field.
You can also convert values in several ranges at the same time. Select them by holding the Ctrl key on your keyboard.
- In the Value field on the add-in's pane you will see the value of the top left cell if you are converting several items or the value of the selected cell if you are converting only one item.
Note. If you need to convert one value, you can simply enter the necessary value into the Value field on the pane.
- Select the measurement unit by clicking on its name in the Units of measurement list at the top of the Measurement Units Converter pane. To make the selection easier for you, the units are arranged in alphabetical order from A to Z. You can sort them from Z to A by clicking on the little arrow next to the name of the section. If you would like to leave only some of the measurement unit names visible, please see how you can change the settings.
- If the range you selected in your table contains numbers and text, tick the Convert only numbers checkbox above the Value field. Then Measurement Units Converter will ignore text within the cells.
The Convert only numbers option can be especially important if your range has names of units or initialism (for example, 45 kg) or if misprints are likely to occur.Note. If you don't tick this option, then Measurement Units Converter will overlook the cells with text.
- Select the units between which you need to convert. You can do it by simply choosing the From unit and To unit in the From and To drop-down lists. Choose the value to convert from by clicking on the little arrow next to the From field and picking the necessary item from the drop-down list.
- To select a unit to convert into, Click on the little arrow next to the To field and pick the item you need from the drop-down list.
- It is also possible to convert back in the reverse order by clicking the Reverse button in between the From and To fields.
- In the Result field you can see the converted value. When you convert the values from a range you see the result for the top left cell in the Result field.
- To apply the conversion results to the range you selected in your Excel table, click the Convert button on the add-in's pane. After that the values of the selected range will be replaced with the converted ones respectively.
- If you don't want to replace the values in your table by the converted items but need them for further work, you can add the results as comments by clicking on the little down arrow next to the Convert button and selecting the Convert and add results as comments option. Then you will always be able to see the converted values without changing the contents of the original table.
You can customize measurement unit categories you see on the converter pane according to your preferences. If you don't need to see all the categories at once, you can leave only some of them visible. To change the number of measurement categories, click on the Options icon at the bottom of the add-in's pane.
You will see the Options window with the measurement units list.
Deselect the checkboxes with the measurement names you want to temporarily disable and click the OK button at the bottom of the Options window to confirm your choice.
If you want to leave just a few measurements, you can take advantage of the Uncheck all button at the top of the Options window. Then select only those units you need to have on the Measurement Units Converter pane.
If you want to tick a lot of previously deselected checkboxes, use the Check all button .
Close the box and only the selected units will be accessible on the Measurement Units Converter pane as well as in the Units drop down list of the Quick Converter.
If you need to quickly convert values in your Excel table, you can use Quick Converter (in Microsoft Excel 2007, 2010 only).
- Find Quick Converter on the AbeleBits.com tab in Excel.
- Select the range you need to convert in your Excel worksheet. It can be a cell or a block of cells, a single column or several columns.
Note. Quick Converter calculates values only of the cells that do not contain text. If a cell has text within it, Quick converter will ignore such entry.
- Choose the measurement unit by clicking on the arrow next to the Unit field and selecting the one you need from the drop-down list. If you would like to leave only some of the measurement unit names visible, please see how you can change the settings.
- Select the unit to convert from by clicking on the arrow next to the From field and picking the necessary item from the drop-down list.
- Click on the arrow next to the To field and choose the necessary unit from its drop-down list.
- Click on the Convert range button and the converted values will automatically appear in the respective cells of the selected range in your table.