Removing unwanted characters in Excel
How to remove special characters in Excel 2016, 2013-2007
When you download a large database into Excel there can be thousands of unwanted characters to be removed like carriage returns or non-printing characters. Cell Cleaner for Excel will go through your list and delete all unwanted characters according to the settings you select.
This tool helps you remove custom characters and character sets in Excel by position, or everywhere in the selected cells. Easily delete all letters, digits, non-printing characters, and punctuation marks. It's also possible to enter and remove a substring from your range.
- Run the Remove Characters tool by clicking on its icon under the Ablebits Data tab in Excel. To remove characters select the range with the cells that contain values you want to delete.
- Expand the group Remove characters or substrings.
- You can select one of three radio buttons according to your task.
Remove custom characters. This option will remove special characters in Excel. If you have several symbols that you need to delete from your range and you don't want to repeat this routine operation several times, just enter each character you need to delete into the Remove custom characters field.
Remove character sets. Select the needed option from the drop-down list:
- Non-printing characters - delete all non-printing characters like line breaks, the first 32 nonprinting characters in the 7-bit ASCII code (values 0 through 31) and additional nonprinting characters (values 127, 129, 141, 143, 144, and 157);
- Text characters - delete all letters from your cells;
- Numeric characters - delete all digits from the selected range;
- Symbols and punctuation marks - this option removes all punctuation marks from the cells as well as the following symbols: mathematical, geometric, technical and currency symbols, letter-like symbols such as ?,1, and ™.
Remove a substring. Delete any combination of characters like a word from the selected cells.
- Click the Remove button to enjoy quick results.
- To remove characters by position, select the range in Excel with the cells that contain values you want to delete.
- Expand the group Remove characters by position.
- Select one of the following radio buttons.
- The first N characters. This option lets you delete any number of characters at the beginning of the selected cells in Excel.
- The last N characters. Remove any number of characters at the end of the selected cells.
- All characters before text. Delete any values in Excel before the specified character or string in the range you select.
- All characters after text. Remove everything after the specified character or string in the selected cells.
- Press the Remove button to see the results.
The Remove Characters tool will help you delete characters depending on their location in the selected cells. You can get rid of the first or last characters, or remove everything before or after certain text.
Thus you can clean your data in Excel and remove all kinds of symbols - from unwanted or forbidden characters to non-printing characters and line breaks.
- ABOUT US