Oct

How to change the row color based on a cell's value in Excel

Learn how to quickly change the color of the entire row based on a single cell's value in your Excel worksheets. Tips and formula examples for number and text values.

Last week we discussed how to change the background color of a cell based on its value. In this article you will learn how to highlight entire rows in Excel 2010 and 2013 based on a value of one cell, and also find a few tips and formula examples that will work with numerical and text cell values.

How to change a row color based on a number in a single cell

Say, you have a table of your company orders like this:
Source data - a table of the company's orders

You may want to shade the rows in different colors based on the cell value in the Qty. column to see the most important orders at a glance. This can be easily done using Excel Conditional Formatting.

1. Start with selecting the cells the background color of which you want to change.

2. Create a new formatting rule by clicking Conditional Formatting > New Rule... on the Home tab.
On the Home tab, click Conditional Formatting > New Rule...

3. In the "New Formatting Rule" dialog window that opens, choose the option "Use a formula to determine which cells to format" and enter the following formula in the "Format values where this formula is true" field: =$C2>4
Open the 'New Formatting Rule' dialog and enter the needed formula.

Instead of C2, you enter a cell that contains the value you want to check in your table and put the number you need instead of 4. And naturally, you can use the less (<) or equality (=) sign so that your formulas will read =$C2<4 and =$C2=4, respectively.

Also, pay attention to the dollar sign before the cell's address, you need to use it to keep the column letter the same when the formula gets copied across the row. Actually, it is what makes the trick and applies formatting to the whole row based on a value in a given cell.

4. Click the "Format..." button and switch to Fill tab to choose the background color. If the default colors do not suffice, click the "More Colors..." button to pick the one to your liking, and then click OK twice.
Click the 'More Colors...' button to choose the color to your liking.

You can also use any other formatting options, such as the font color or cells border on the other tabs of the Format Cells dialog.

4. The preview of your formatting rule will look similar to this:
The preview of your formatting rule

5. If this is how you wanted it and you are happy with the color, click OK to see your new formatting in effect.

Now, if the value in the Qty. column is greater than 4, the entire rows in your Excel table will turn blue.
The background color of entire rows is changed based on value in the specified cell.

As you can see, changing the row's color based on a number in a single cell is pretty easy in Excel. Further on, you will find more formula examples and a couple of tips for more complex scenarios.

How to apply several rules with the priority you need

In the previous example, you may want to highlight the rows with different values in the Qty. column in different colors. For example, you can add a rule to shade the rows with quantity 10 or greater, say, in pink. In this case, use the formula =$C2>9, and after your second formatting rule is created, set the rules priority so that both of your rules will work.

1. On the Home tab, in the Styles group, click Conditional Formatting > Manage Rules... .

2. Choose "This worksheet" in the "Show formatting rules for" field. If you want to manage the rules that apply to your current selection only, choose "Current Selection".

3. Select the formatting rule you want to be applied first and move it to the top of the list using the arrows. The result should resemble this:
Use the up and down arrows to set the rules' priority.

Click the OK button and the corresponding rows will immediately change their background color based on the cell values that you specified in both formulas.
The entire rows colored based on two conditional formatting rules

How to change a row color based on a text value in a cell

In our sample table, to make follow-up on orders easier, you can shade the rows based on the values in the Delivery column, so that:

• If an order is "Due in X Days", the background color of such rows will turn orange;
  • If an item is "Delivered", the entire row will be colored in green;
  • If an order is "Past Due", the row will turn red.

Naturally, the row color will change if the order status gets updated.

While the formula from our first example could work for "Delivered" and "Past Due"(=$E2="Delivered" and =$E2="Past Due"), the task sounds a bit trickier for "Due in..." orders. As you see, different orders are due in 1, 3, 5 or more days and the above formula won't work because it is purposed for exact match.

In this case, you'd better use the =SEARCH formula like this =SEARCH("Due in", $E2)>0 that works for the partial match as well. In the formula, E2 is the address of the cell that you want to base your formatting on, the dollar sign ($) is used to apply the formula to the entire row, and >0 means that the formatting will be applied if the specified text ("Due in" in our case) is found.

Tip: If you use >0 in the above formula, it means that the row will be colored no matter where the specified value or text is located in the key cell. For example, the Delivery column (F) may contain the text "Urgent, Due in 6 Hours", and this row will be colored as well.

If you want to change the color of rows where the contents of the key cell starts with the indicated value or text, then you need to use =1 in the formula, e.g. =SEARCH("Due in", $E2)=1. However, be very careful when using this kind of formula and ensure that there are no leading spaces in the key column, otherwise you might rack your brain trying to figure out why the formula does not work :) You can use this free tool to find and remove leading and trailing spaces in your worksheets - Trim Spaces add-in for Excel.

Create three such rules following the steps from the first example, and you will have the below table, as the result:
The rows' color is changed based on a text value in a cell.

How to change a cell's color based on a value of another cell

In fact, this is simply a variation of changing the background color of a row case. But instead of the whole table, you select a column or a range where you want to change the cells color and use the formulas described above.

For example, we could create three such rules to shade only the cells in the "Order number" column based on another cell value (values in the Delivery column).
Changing a cell's color based on a value in another cell

How to change a row's background color based on several conditions

If you want to shade the rows in the same color based on several values, then instead of creating several formatting rules you can use the =OR or =AND formulas to set several conditions.

For example, we can color the orders due in 1 and 3 days in the reddish color, and those that are due in 5 and 7 days in the yellow color. The formulas are as follow:

• =OR($F2="Due in 1 Days", $F2="Due in 3 Days")
  • =OR($F2="Due in 5 Days", $F2="Due in 7 Days")

Use the =OR formula to change a row's color based on several conditions.

And you can use the =AND formula, say, to change the background color of rows with Qty. equal to or greater than 5 and equal to or less than 10: =AND($D2>=5, $D2<=10).
An example of using the =AND formula

Naturally, you are not limited to using only 2 conditions in such formulas, you are free to use as many as you need, e.g. =OR($F2="Due in 1 Days", $F2="Due in 3 Days", $F2="Due in 5 Days") and so on.

Tip: Now that you know how to color cells to differentiate between various types of values, you may want to know how many cells are highlighted in a certain color and calculate the sum of values in those cells. The good news is that you can automate this too and you will find the solution in this article: How to count, sum and filter cells by color in Excel.

These are only a few of many possible ways to zebra stripe your Excel worksheets based on a cell's value that will respond to change of data in that cell. If you need something different for your data set, drop us a comment and we will try to figure this out.

You may also be interested in:

175 Responses to "How to change the row color based on a cell's value in Excel"

1. Akshaya Kumar swain says:

my question is
    suppose i have a data like this

sas analytics developer
    visual analytics using macro
    msexcel is a spreadsheet program

Condition-:
    Those values are containing "analytics" then change to "magic"
    otherwise value should be "_".

Using Excel formulas...

2. Akshaya Kumar swain says:

please anybody comment here..

3. Hi Akshaya,

Using Excel formulas, it is not possible to substitute values in the original cells with data. However, you can create an empty column next to the column that contains the values you want to change and copy the following formula all across that newly added column: =IFERROR(IF(FIND("analytics",A1) > 0, "magic"), "_") where A is the name of the column with your original data.

4. Tapan says:

Thank you very much for such easy tips. Hardly took 10 mins opposed to writing magic VB scripts for days ;)

5. John Lyons says:

Hello Svetlana Cheusheva, how are you?

I wanted to ask if the question that was posted on November 28, 2013 is similar to my question.

I wanted to ask how to automatically highlight an entire row after entering specific text in a single cell within that row?

Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Thanks, John Lyons.

6. John Lyons says:

Oh and I'm currently using Excel 2010 on Google Drive..

7. Hello John,

I think you can use the conditional formatting as demonstrated in this article, and copy one of the following formulas across the column in which you will enter specific text, where A is the name of your column:

For exact match: =$A1="your text"
    For partial match: =SEARCH("your text", $A1)>0

You can find more details here.

If you need something different, please clarify. Thank you for your comment!

8. Charlie says:

Hi Svetlana,

Just wanted to say thanks for this, it was really useful and helped me achieve exactly what I wanted.

Many Thanks,

Charlie

9. Hi Charlie,

Thank you very much! It's always a pleasure to get such comments :)

10. Manoj says:

I want to change the color a cell,say A1 when the count of a particular text in other cells Say A2 to A3 (which are in same row ) changes.

Say, if the count is less than 2, the color of A1 is red, when more than 2, should be green, and greater than 5, should be blue.

Thanks,
    Manoj

• Hi Manoj,

This was a challenge!

If I understand your task right, you need to change the background color of a cell in Column A depending on how many times a particular text is found in a specified range of cells.

If so, you can use the following formulas to count "FindMe" text in a specified range (columns B, C, D in each row).

=((LEN($B2&$C2&$D2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(LOWER($B2&$C2&$D2),LOWER("FindMe"),"")))/LEN("FindMe"))>=5

=((LEN($B2&$C2&$D2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(LOWER($B2&$C2&$D2),LOWER("FindMe"),"")))/LEN("FindMe"))>=2

=((LEN($B2&$C2&$D2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(LOWER($B2&$C2&$D2),LOWER("FindMe"),"")))/LEN("FindMe"))>=1

In theory, you can use the above formulas with conditional formatting, as described in this article. However, I'd strongly advise to create an additional column and copy the formula

across that new column to count the "FindMe" instances. Then you can create conditional formatting rules based on the number in this column.

Instead of "FindMe”, you can add a reference to the cell containing the needed text.

Click here to download a sample workbook.

Sheet 1 contains a complex formula to color Column A using Condtional Formatting.
      Sheet 2 is an example of Condtional Formatting using the helper column.

11. Rohit Jain says:

I did not understand(although i applied rules)...
    here my problem...
    i have two coloums - 'Name' and 'Remarks'.
    i want to change the cell colour of all the cell in the column "Name" if the "Remark" column contains text "Expired" ..
    PLEASE provide me solution, better main me.

12. Hi Rohit,

Select your table without headers and create a new rule as described in Changing the row’s color based on a number in a single cell. In your rule, use this formula =$B2="Expired", where B is your Remarks columns. I've just tried this on my test table and it worked just fine, all rows containing the text "Expired" in the "Remark" column got colored. Hope this helps.

13. Alina says:

I need your help :). In my excel I have a column with "delivery date" and one with "Invoice". I would like to know the formula to colour the Invoice column when the delivery date is equal and grater than today BUT in the same time when I will enter the invoice number, the colour will dissapear (or be default).

Thank you!

14. Parameswar Nayak says:

Hi Svetlana,

This is a very good post. It helped me to achive my formating I wanted.

Thnks a lot.

15. Hi Parameswar,

I am glad you've found it helpful. Thank you for your comment!

16. Hello Alina,

I think you can add an additional column to your table and copy the following formula across that column:
    =IF(B2>=DATE(YEAR(NOW()),MONTH(NOW()),DAY(NOW())),IF(C2="", 1, 0), 0)
    Where B is your Delivery column and C is the Invoice column. If the date is greater than or equal to now and there is no number in the Invoice column, the formula returns 1, in all other cases it's 0. After that you create a simple conditional formatting rule for the Invoice column with a formula like this: =$D2=1 where D is the additional column. Hope this helps.

17. Kevin says:

Hello Svetlana,

I would like to know how to make one colour word in a formula which the word is refered from another sheet.

[Example]

The "2013 year" is at "B7" cell in "A" sheet.
    and I 'd like to use a formula on "B" sheet.
    So, hope to make this "The great idea id from 2013 year !!" words in the "B" sheet.
    But only "2013 year" is in red.
    Because, I will use the words for every year, only change "A" sheet.
    And do not miss the changed word for confirmation. So hope to make it coloured.

The conditional formatting can not be accepted, but if it accepted a word without formula. I have tried.

Please let me out of this question.
    Thank you!

18. Alina says:

I will try it, thank you very much,

19. Hello Kevin,

If I understand your task correctly, you need to color a part of the text in a cell, i.e. "2013 year". Unfortunately this cannot be done either with conditional formatting or Excel formulas because they apply to the entire content of a cell. Probably, this can be done using VBA, but I don't know for sure. Sorry for not being able to help with this : (

If you are looking for something different, please send us a sample workbook so that we can understand your task better and we will try to figure out a solution.

20. Kevin says:

Hello Svetlana,

Thanks for your kind answer, I will try to find out more.

21. Sumesh says:

I would like to know how to change the color of font if in 2 colum numbers are same but not in sequence ?

If in colum A there is number like., 1,2,3,4,5 & If I type 3 & 4 in next colum like below. So can I change font color of same numbers? and How using formula?

E.g.

A B
    1 4
    2 3

22. Hi Sumesh,

If my understanding is correct, you need to change the font of 3 and 4 in your example. If so, select the entire first column (say, column A) and create the conditional formatting rule based on this formula =ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$B$1:$B$10000,0))=FALSE

After that select the second column e.g. column B (it's very important to select the entire column, so that your rule will apply to =$B:$B) and enter this formula =ISERROR(MATCH(B1,$A$1:$A$10000,0))=FALSE

Choose the needed font color for both rules and enjoy the result : )

23. Bytebuster says:

Hi Svetlana,

I have a little problem with an Excel sheet which is made by someone else who left the company. According to a formula =DATUM(D$3;SOM(C$43:O$43);B7)is the day of the month set in the cell like mo tu we th fr sa su. Wheneve I change the year the days of the month changed automatically. What I want to do is color the row of sa and su but all what you memntioned above couldn't help me. How can I realise this?

If it is not possible, is there then another way to set the days of the month sothat I can change the color of the row of weekend by a formula or else?

Kind regards,
    Byte

24. Hi Byte,

As far as understand you output the days of the week in some custom format similar to "ddd" format that displays Mon, Tue etc. If so, then you can create a conditional rule based on this formula:
    =OR((text(A1,"ddd")="Sat"),(text(A1,"ddd")="Sun"))=TRUE
    where A in the name of the column where your =DATUM formula is used.

You will only need to change "Sat" and "Sun" exactly to the text that your formula returns, replace "ddd" with your cell format, and use the analogs of "OR" and other operators in your language (German, right?).

• Bytebuster says:

Hi Svetlana,

I've tried your formula but unfortunately it doesn't function. I've tried to change some settings of the formula (like MS Office 2010 doesn't like = before OR command or other commands.) I've tried some other things, but no result. I have changed the name of the days as you had mentioned, from Sat to za en from Sun to zo. These are the short names of the week days in Dutch. Do you have another solution for this. If you want, then I can send you the Excel file.

Kind regards and thanks in advance,
      Byte

25. Tatumrs says:

I am working a spreadsheet that contains several tabs or worksheets. The summary page is pulling information from the other tabs based on the formula =CONCATENATE(U7B!E91," ")

Now, on my summary page, I am wanting to change the color of a cell in column b if a text in column e is "x". Column b is a name gathered off the above listed formula and column e represents if they are a pool player

Thanks for the help

26. Tatumrs says:

column e text is also pulled from the other tabs based on the same formula

27. Svetlana says:

Hi Tatumrs,

I think you can select the entire column B and create the conditional formatting rule based on this formula =$E1="x" (or =$E2="x" if your table has headers).

28. Chris says:

Hi Svetlana,

Sorry to trouble you, but I cannot make this work for a date!

I have one column (J) which is "date of sale". This only has a value if a sale has been made. So, I want to highlight all the rows which have a date in column J (essentially highlighting all the rows where I have made a sale, and leaving the ones where the sale has not been closed blank)

Can you help?

Thanks!

29. Hi Chris,

Try selecting the whole table and then create the formatting rule with this formula =$J2<>"" (assuming that your table has headers). It will color all the rows that have any value in column J. Hope this is what you are looking for.

30. Chris says:

Success! Thank you very much!

31. Tatumrs says:

Line 26, 27, and 28.

I attmepted to place the formula you suggested in the conditional formating and it is not working. Any other ideas?

Ex. I am wanting cell B4 to highlight if cell E4 has "x".

However, The data is cell E4 is pulled from a different location based on the formula =CONCATENATE(U7G!E8," ")

Thanks for your help.

32. Hi Tatumrs,

I tested that formula on a table that pulls data from another sheet using a CONCATENATE formula similar to yours, and it worked properly. In fact, it does not really matter whether you enter a value directly in a cell or pull it from another location. This formula (=$E4="x") is very simple and should work anyway, unless you have some specific data format, e.g. dates. Anyway, it's hard to say why it does not work for you without seeing your real data.

33. Allan says:

Hi Svetlana,

Was wondering if you could help me please. I have a table made up and i am wanting to highlight an entire row, only when all the cells in that row have information of any kind(text or numbers)in them. So the row would stay unhighlighted if any of the cells were left blank. Basically the entire row would highlight automatically when all cells are complete.

Many thanks

Allan

34. Hi Alan,

The only solution that I can come up with is using the =AND formula like this =AND($A2"", $B2"", $C2"", $D2"", $E2"")
    It works fine if a table has only a few columns, but this may not be the best approach if you have a large table because as you understand, you would need to list all the columns in the formula. Regrettably, I cannot suggest any better alternative.

35. som pratap singh says:

Hi Svetlana,

I want to make a sheet which contains only words A,U,P,EL. The condition is when I type A in any cell of the table the background of that perticular cell should change automatically to yellow. and when I type P in any cell then background should change to green like by typing other words they should also change the colour of backgound of any cell in same table.

Son Pratap

36. Hi Son Pratap,

In your case, you need to select the whole table and create a conditional formatting rule of the type "Format only cells that contain". Then under "Format only cells with", choose the following options: Cell value, equal to, A. You can find the detailed information on how to do this in my other article: How to change background color in Excel based on cell value. Hope this helps.

37. Helen says:

Hi Svetlana

I am trying to make an entire row red when there is one or more #N/A errors. I have used =ISERROR(A1)and selected the range as =$A$1:$AI$16 but it only makes the cells with #N/A in them red not the whole row.

Please can you help?

Helen

38. Hi Helen,

You need to enter the absolute address of the column =ISERROR($A1). If errors may occur in other columns as well, then you need to create similar rules for columns B, C, etc. Alternatively, you can try to combine them all in one rule using the OR operator, e.g. =OR(ISERROR($A1),ISERROR($B1),ISERROR($C1))

39. Paul D says:

Hi Svetlana,

Can you advise how to make cells adjacent to 1 cell with a numeric value change colour or ideally return an x symbol, ie
    Assume cell A1 contains value 6, I need the number of cells adjacent to ideally contain the x value (or be coloured) based on the number in A1, so B1 - G1 would contain x. Need this formulae to work up to a value in A1 of say 24 max. Is this possible ?? - many thanks.

40. Hi Paul,

I am not 100% sure that I understand your task correctly, so let me check. If you have 6 in A1, then you want the next 6 cells (B1 – G1) to contain "x". If you have 5 in A2, the next 5 cells B2 – F2 should contain "x" and so on. The maximum value in A is 24. If so, then you can copy the following formula to B1:Y1 and across the same range in other rows: =IF(COLUMN(B1)-1 <=$A1, "x", "") No conditional formatting is needed.

P.S. I think I have to let you know that I gave up on this task after several unsuccessful attempts.
    The formula was written by Dmitry, one of the best Excel developers in our team, just in a few seconds : )

41. Vanessa says:

Hi Svetlana,
    Is there any way to change the background colours of cells when text in those cells is changed to a date? The dates are to go on for the rest of the year(end of 2014).

• Hi Vanessa,

To color cells with dates, first you need to identify the format code of your date, e.g. d-mmm-yy or dd-mmm-yy is "D1"; d-mmm or dd-mmm is "D2"; m/d/yy or m/d/yy h:mm or mm/dd/yy is "D4" etc. You can find the complete list of date codes in this article.

And then, select a table or a range where you want to change the color of cells, and create a conditional formatting rule using a formula similar to this =cell("format",$A1)="D4" where D4 is the date format and A in the name of the column that contains dates. If your dates may be in 2 or more formats, then use the OR operator, e.g. =OR(cell("format",$A1)="D4",cell("format",$A1)="D2",cell("format",$A1)="D1")

42. vic595 says:

i have a huge data's and each cell texted mixed color.
    i have done a formula to when ever i mark No.1 on cell will take the target cell which i want (simple : =if(=IF(A1=1,C2," ").

The problem :
    the problem is the target cell givving me a black color text data, how i can get it as colored as original cell which it have?

43. Colin says:

Hi Svetlana
    I would like cells colored based on ID numbers they contain.
    What would a formula look like that colors cells with the same values ( ID's) in a list, so the cell colors alternate, but by their ID numbers not just alternating cell by cell or by Company name as ID is linked to different locations of the same Company.
    Example:
    60434 Company D
    60909 Company E
    60909 Company E
    60909 Company E
    60909 Company E

• Hi Colin,

The only solution that I can suggest is to create a separate conditional formatting rule for each ID. In your example, there are 10 different IDs, so you'd need to create 10 different rules. VBA code might probably work too, but it should allow for all the specificities of your real data, so we cannot give any advice.

44. Colin says:

Thank you for looking into it.

45. Sarah says:

Hello Svetlana

Im wondering if you can help me i have a spreadsheet set up for work and i need to make it then when i put in a g it turns green and so on with different letters and colours. I can get it that i can change the colour however i need the number to disapper

Hope you can help

• Hello Sarah,

If my understanding of the task is correct, you want to change the color based on a cell's value and after that the cell's value should disappear. I don't know any way to delete cells' values using conditional formatting. And even if there's such a way, most likely this would eliminate the cell's color too (no value > no color). As an alternative, you can "hide" the value by making the cell's color and font color alike. In other words, in your conditional formatting rule you can set the font color exactly the same as the fill color.

46. Neeta says:

Thanks, it helped me format the document easily.

47. Sabra Souders says:

I am trying to add a rule that will change the color of the cell (C column) if the return date (B Column) is the same (green), one day later (yellow) and over 2 days later (red). I entered the formula on the first row but cannot paste it to any other cells. I need all of column C to reflect column B as I enter the dates.

• Hello Sabra,

If you have already created a conditional formatting rule for 1 row, then you can extend it to the entire table in this way. On the Excel Ribbon, click Conditional Formatting > Manage rules. The Conditional Formatting Rules Manager will open an you choose "This Worksheet" from the drop-down list next to "Show formatting rules for". You will see your current rule and edit the "Applies to" range as you need it either by typing or use the standard Excel button to select the range to the right on the "Applies to" field.

Also, be sure to use the dollar sign ($) before the column letter in your formula, e.g.
      Green =($C1-$B1)=0
      Yellow =($C1-$B1)=1
      Red =($C1-$B1)>1

Hope this helps.

48. RC says:

Hi Svetlana, I am running into an issue and I hope there is an easy fix. The formula below the formatting rule works.
    Example 1:
    =AND($B2="Success", $F2="Approved") the formatting works.

However when I add an additional formula the results don't format even when true. The issue is my spreadsheet contains the words TRUE in some cells and FALSE in others. I'm thinking the formula think these are some type of operators. When I try and use these values in the formula no formatting takes place.

Example 2:
    =AND($B2="Success", $F2="Approved", $C2="TRUE") the formatting fails.

I have multiple columns that have a value of either TRUE or FALSE.
    How can I get around this? I have tried applying different rules but I haven't found a solution yet.

RC

• Hi RC,

You are right, Excel perceives TRUE and FALSE as Boolean values rather than text values. So, you simply need to remove quotation marks from TRUE, so that the formula reads: =AND($B2="Success", $F2="Approved", $C2=TRUE)

49. RC says:

Awesome, that worked. Thank you!

50. Ryan says:

Thank you so much for your help. I am trying to use conditional formatting to create two separate colored sections. Here is an example of my data:

.5 .5
    .5 .5
    1.0 0.0
    .75 .25

The rule that I would like to set up is a green row appears when the first column is greater that 0 and the second column is equal to 0

When both columns have numbers that are greater than 0, I would like to set up a blue column.

Thanks!

• Hi Ryan,

Supposing that your first column is A and your 2nd column is B and your table has headers, you can use these formulas:

=AND($A2>0, $B2=0) - for green rows
      =AND($A2>0, $B2>0) - for blue rows

As you understand, you need to replace A and B with the columns where your numbers are located. And if your table does not have headers and your data starts in row 1, change A2 to A1 and B2 to B1.

51. raj says:

I have one help
    in a cell i have keying one letter example A, and i selected same row its reflect full rows A.
    how is i do. need to help me.

52. Josiah says:

Hi! You know the formula to highlight the row that have the same values in total score column and rank column? Thanks! :D

53. Theresa says:

I have created a spreadsheet with a list of contracts including expiry dates when known - I am trying to create a conditional format for the entire row when the contract has expired - I have tried several different combinations including creating a hidden column with the TODAY() formula and using the =$L1<$M1 in the conditional formula L - being the expiry date and M - the today date, but none of the combinations I have tried are working (I have checked and all the dates are entered in the same format - but some dates that are greater than M are being highlighted also....I have also created a conditional format for when the expiry date is empty (L) to leave the format unchanged but it seems to work for some and not for others - I am completely stumped?

• Hi Theresa,
      Your formula is correct. I can think of only one possible reason why it may not work properly. If your table has headers, then you need to put it =$L2<$M2 to avoid the "shift" because the real data starts in row 2. Is this the case?

54. muzaffar says:

hi! i am traying to format each duplicate pair in diffrent color, is this possible? infact, it is a date format and i want to have each date duplicates in same color.
    regards

55. muzaffar says:

is it possible to format a cell that contain numeric and text value on its numeric value only?
    Regards

56. Matt says:

Thank you, thank you! I have been trying to find a way to make this work based on the dates in the last column of several spreadsheets for a week. I guess I was just asking the wrong questions of Google, but today I found your explanation and was able to quickly (and EASILY) alter it to my needs using the TODAY()feature and adding/subtracting the # of days that would determine a different color.

Your explanations and the screenshots were fantastic!

57. Shannon says:

Hi Svetlana,

I am trying to use the AND function to highlight rows. I want the row to be shaded when column K and column M contain "Yes". I highlight my whole table and apply the conditional formatting rule =AND($K5="Yes",$M5="Yes")it works but only for the top row? How do I make it so the rule is applied to the whole table?

Also if possible, I would like to shade a different colour when the above is applied and also column I contains any value (either text or number). Is this possible?

Thank you, I hope this make sense!

• Hi Shannon,

Your formula is correct and it worked just fine on my test sheet. It might not work on your side if for some reason your conditional rule was created for the top row only. You can check it in this way:

On the Excel Ribbon, click Conditional Formatting > Manage rules. In the Conditional Formatting Rules Manager, choose "This Worksheet" next to "Show formatting rules for". You will see your current rule and the range it applies to. If it is not correct, you can change it directly in the "Applies to" field.

Also, please check if row 5 is really a top row with data in your table, it not, modify the formula accordingly.

As for your second condition (when columns K and M contain "Yes" and column I contains any value), it is also possible using this formula: =AND($K5="Yes",$M5="Yes",$I5<>"") Hope this helps.

58. Carl says:

I was able to use your directions to change the color of one cell based on the values in another. I would like to repeat this on every row in my document. Each row is in an independent decision. Is there an easy way to copy my rule for one row to the others or do I have to set up each row individually? Thank you.

• Hi Carl,

If you want to apply the same rule to all the rows, then you can simply modify the range it applies to. You can do it in the following way. Select the row to which the rule applies, click Conditional Formatting > Manage rules, select your rule and enter the needed range directly in the “Applies to” field. If you are loking for something different, then please give me an example.

• Carl says:

I don't think setting a range will work because the color of cell A1 (in my sheet) is dependant upon a value in A10 and/or A11. The value in B1 will be dependant upon my value in B10 and/or B11 and so on. Each row is an indpendant decision of the other rows. If I apply a range then won't all the colors be the same? I don't want that. A 1 could be anyone of three colors, B1 could be anyone of three colors and so on.

• Hi Carl,

I am not sure I understand your task correctly. Anyway, for the colors not to be the same, you can use a relative reference (without the $ sign) or a mixed reference (relative column and absolute row). For example, if you create a conditional formatting rule with this formula =AND(A1>A$10,A1<A$11) for range =$A$1:$D$9, it will color all cells in column A (A1:A9) whose values are greater than A10 and less than A11; cells in column B with values greater than B10 and less than B11 and so on. If you are looking for something different, then you can send us your test workbook (support@ablebits.com), it's always much easier to come up with the right formula when you can see the real data.

59. Peter says:

I have a spreadsheet in which I have a number of columns. In column a I have a Code that may repeat for 4 rows, then change to another value, then another. How can I easily Highlight the row for each change in column A? Here is a simple example of the data. In the case below, I would want to highlight the first 4 rows in let's say blue, then I do not need to highlight rows 5-8, but then highlight rows 9-12 in blue again, the next 4 no highlight, etc...

6870meri    Property Administrator (Payables)
       6870meri    Property Administrator (Receivables)
       6870meri    Property Manager
       6870meri    Superintendent
       aberdeen    Property Administrator (Payables)
       aberdeen    Property Administrator (Receivables)
       aberdeen    Property Manager
       aberdeen    Superintendent
       albionc    Property Administrator (Payables)
       albionc    Property Administrator (Receivables)
       albionc    Property Manager
       albionc    Superintendent
       alexandr    Property Administrator (Payables)
       alexandr    Property Administrator (Receivables)
       alexandr    Property Manager
       alexandr    Superintendent
       alkenton    Property Administrator (Payables)
       alkenton    Property Administrator (Receivables)
       alkenton    Property Manager
       alkenton    Superintendent
       arcadia    Property Administrator (Payables)
       arcadia    Property Administrator (Receivables)
       arcadia    Property Manager
       arcadia    Superintendent

• Hi Peter,

If all of your codes repeat for 4 rows, then you don't even need to use conditional formatting. An easier way to zebra stripe your data would be using Excel's table styles:

1. If you have a range of data, convert it to table (Insert > Table).
      2. Go to the Design tab, right click on the table style you want and choose Duplicate.
      3. Name your new style, select "First Row Stripe" and set it to 4. Do the same for "Second Row Stripe".
      4. Click OK, save your style and apply it to your table by selecting it from the Table Styles gallery.

You can achieve the same result by creating a conditional formatting rule with this formula =MOD(ROW($A2)+8-2,8)>=4 (supposing that your table has headers and row 2 is your top row with data; if not, then replace -2 with the number of your 1st row).

If there may be a different number of rows in the Codes column (A), then you will need a bit more complex formula. Create an additional column, say column K, and enter the following formula in cell K2, then copy it across the entire column: =MOD(IF(ROW()=2,0,IF(A2=A1,K1, K1+1)), 2)

The formula will populate column K with blocks of 0 and 1, every new block staring with the Code change. After that create a conditional formatting rule(s) using the formula =$K2=1 (and =$K2<>1 if you'd want a second color to alternate blocks). Hope this helps.

60. AG says:

Hi, If I want to highlight a final result cell based on certain inputs, say "Yes" or "No" in a column. how can i do that?

If the column C has Yes or No as inputs against some conditions placed in column B then how does it reflect in the final result column D as Yes or No?

• Hi AG,

If my understanding is correct, you want to copy "Yes" or "Now" from column C to column D and then highlight rows in 2 different colors. If so, then enter the following formula in cell D2 (assuming that your table has headers) and then fill that down until the end of your table: =C2

After that select your table and create 2 rules using these formulas:
      To highlight rows with Yes: =SEARCH("Yes", $D2)=1
      To highlight rows with No: =SEARCH("No", $D2)=1

If you are looking for something different, please clarify.

it is not helpful to me as no formula to change the entire row color is sucessful. i want to know how a row will be coloured if a value change. thanks

• Regrettably, I'm not able to give any advice without knowing what exactly you are trying to achieve. If you can give an example of your data (including column names), we will try to work out a proper formula.

62. Katie says:

I have a large spreadsheet that contains two date columns. One of the date columns is column F. I want to highlight every row that has the date 12/31/2013 in column F, but I can't make it work. Thanks!

• Hi Katie,

The point is that Excel stores dates as numbers, starting from January 1, 1900. So, 1-Jan-1900 is stored as 1, 2-Jan-1900 as 2… and 12/31/2013 as 41639. To make the formula work, just enter your date in this numerical format, i.e. =$F2=41639 (assuming that row 2 is your top row with data).

Another way is to convert the date to the number format is which it is stored: =$F2=DATEVALUE("12/31/2013")

63. Joe says:

Hi Svetlana,

for my work i need to enter different values for each row every time.
    i would like for the coloring of the new entry to be automatic to green.
    and i want the previous record to be white again. meaning i want always the latest entry will be colored and the rest colorless.

is there an easy way to achieve this.

much thank,

Joe

• Hi Joe,
      This is not possible to achieve using Excel's conditional formatting. Our Excel specialist has written a small macro for you that shades the latest edited cell in green. You can try this solution by copying the macro to your worksheet:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal rnUpdated As Range)
      Static strLastUpdated As String

If strLastUpdated <> "" Then
      Range(strLastUpdated).Interior.ColorIndex = 0
      End If

rnUpdated.Interior.Color = CLng("&H00FF00")
      strLastUpdated = rnUpdated.Address

End Sub

If you are not very comfortable with macros, this short tutorial may be helpful:
      How to insert and run VBA code in Excel

64. steve says:

I have 2 columns-- in one is the Event Name and the other is Event Type

I want the event name in column C to change color based on the 3 types of events I type in column B

so if you type Annual I want that event name to change Orange
    if you type Passed I want that event name to change Green

My problem is its changing ALL of the events the colors because it contains the word annual..

please help!!

65. Hi Steve,

Select cells in Colum C that you want to format and create rules with these formulas (assuming that row 2 is your 1st rows with data):
    Orange: =SEARCH("Annual", $B2)=1
    Green: =SEARCH("Passed", $B2)=1

This should color cells in Column C when the corresponding cells in column B contain Annual and Passed, respectively. If you are looking for something different, please send me a sample workbook at support@ablebits.com and we'll try to figure this out.

66. steve says:

Hi Svetlana,

I sent you an email.. hope we can get this solved.

• Hi Steve,

I emailed you back the result.

The Search formulas work just fine, just make sure you use the first cell with data in the formula, which is D3 in your case:
      =SEARCH("Passed", $D3)=1
      =SEARCH("Annual", $D3)=1

Also, it is important that you enter the range with your data only under "Applies to" and not the entire column, otherwise the formula will be applied to the first 2 rows too and you will get incorrect results.

67. Chris says:

I am creating a template and I have queries in that. It’s in two parts.

First Part
    I have a start date of a work. And the no of days the works is going on. In the next column I should get the end date. But it should add the weekends. (For example my works starting date is 13/03/2014 and the no of days of work is 2. Then the work ending date should come as 16/03/2014. (Weekend is Friday and Saturday. Not Saturday and Sunday). I tried using “workday” command but I think it assumes (Saturday and Sunday as weekends).
    Task Name Start Date Duration End Date
    Survey 13/03/2014 2 ?

Second Part
    There are dates in the column. As per the start date and the end date that we have calculated from part 1 the cells should color automatically. Say if it the work is from 13 to 16th then the cells between these two dates should be automatically colored.
    Start Date End Date 13 14 15 16 17
    13/03/2014 16/03/2014

Can you help me to do this excel.

68. Pratap Narayan Chaturvedi says:

How to use Conditional Formatting in total Row Like

Name Age City
    Jaslok 20 Delhi
    Ramesh 21 Jabalpur
    Rama 22 Kanpur

69. Abby says:

Hi. Thank you for the helpful instructions. I am trying to set the color of a row based on the text in one column, but have a list of words to exclude.
    Therefore, I want the rows where certain words do not appear in a specific column to be highlighted. I would greatly appreciate your help.

I have tried the following formula without success
    =AND($F17"BLUE", "RED")

and
    =OR($F17"BLUE", "RED")

• Hi Abby,

If my understanding is correct, you need to highlight rows where neither "BLUE" nor "RED" appears in column F. If so, select your entire table and you can use create a conditional formatting rule with this formula (assuming that your table has headers and row 2 is your 1st row with data):
      =AND($F2<>"RED",$F2<>"BLUE")

If you want to highlighted rows that contain certain words, let's name them "GooodWord1" and "GooodWord2", but do not contain words-exceptions, say "ExcludeWord1" and "ExcludeWord2", then you will need a very complex formula like this:

AND(false=ISERR(SEARCH("GooodWord1",$F2)), false=ISERR(SEARCH("GooodWord1",$F2)), true=ISERR(SEARCH("ExcludeWord1",$F2)),, true=ISERR(SEARCH("ExcludeWord2",$F2)))=true

As you see this formula is very long and that is why your workbook may start working a bit slower than usually.

70. Chris says:

Hai Svetlana,

Thanks for your reply. Second part worked perfectly. But for the first part when i say start date as 20/03/2014 and duration as 2 days then it should consider 20th also. so the end date should be 21/03/2014.

Cheers
    Chris

• Hi Chris,

In this case, the correct formula is this =WORKDAY.INTL(A1-1,B1,7)

However, please note that if your start date as 20/03/2014 and duration as 2 days, the end date will still be 23th because March 21 and 22 are Fri and Sat, respectively, and they are days off according to your requirements.

71. Chris says:

thank you..

72. Chris says:

Hi svetlana,

Have another query. Its related to Macro. I have two different work sheets. from the first sheet i have to copy two separate cells and have to paste that in the second sheet. after i paste i will get values generated in the second sheet. then i have to copy the generated values and paste it in the first sheet. this has to keep on goin on a loop. how to do this.

For example from first sheet i will copy distance and speed and paste in the second sheet. based on these values cost will be automatically generated in the first sheet. and then i have to copy these costs and paste in the first sheet. Then i have to copy next two values of distance and speed from sheet 1 and paste in sheet 2. this has to go as a loop.And the sheets should automatically open.

Chris

73. Owen says:

Hi Svetlana,
    I cannot set a conditional (color) format in (say) cell A1 based on A2 if A2 is a formula. If I type in a hard number into A2 then A1 goes red - it works fine - but when I put the formula back into A2(which delivers the correct answer itself for my spreadsheet)then A1 does not respond ?
    Please help.
    Many thanks
    Owen

74. Marcel says:

Hi Svetlana,

how to highlight first order row of every client? My spreadsheet contains client name, date of acquisition columns and has many entries per client.

Many thanks!

• Hi Marcel,

I cannot figure out a way to do this with conditional formatting. However, our Duplicate Remover add-in can help. You can download a trial version and then do the following:

1. Select your entire table, and click "Duplicate Remover" icon on the ribbon, then click Next.
      2. Choose to find "Uniques +1st occurrence".
      3. Select only your "Client ID" column as the key column.
      4. Select the action "Fill with color", choose a color and click Finish.

The first order row of every client will be shaded with the color of your choosing. Is this what you are looking for?

75. abdallah says:

thnx alot. this was very helpfull

76. Ian says:

Hi Svetlana

Thank you for you good work.
    How do you change the color of a value in a cell that has changing (RTD) dynamic value:
    Example:
    Cell A1 contents 1000 Text color is BLACK time 00:01
    Cell A1 contents 1001 Text color is GREEN time 00:02
    Cell A1 contents 999 text color is RED time 00:03
    Ian

77. morteza says:

Hi Svetlana
    At first i should thank you for your helpful advice to clear my mind about some problems.
    But now,i encounter another problem and hope i can describe it well.

1- I made a table that calculates the benefit of a deposit money then shows it in a cell(all in a row).It also highlights the row of current day "today()" nfo.
    Since it has too many rows it takes time to find the right one, so i want to show the exact data based on current day in different place for example at the top of the sheet.

2- Is it possible to show this new row on screen when a user log-in. (something like pop up text ).

Thanks for your hints even if it doesn,t solve my pb.

78. morteza says:

Hi all,

How to send a specific excel data as a pop up message on desktop by these rules:

1- Auto pop up at start up
    2- By user click
    3- contents data varies based on computer current date.

Does anybody know How?

• Alexander says:

It is very difficult or probably impossible to display a pop-up on desktop. You can get the dialog to appear in Excel upon opening a workbook and /or clicking a button in the workbook. The question is what exactly you want to write in that dialog?

79. ARUP PATRA says:

THANKS

80. morteza says:

I made a table which uses a simple formula to calculate the profit of deposit money then shows the result. Each row stands for a day.And now, i want the row of containing current day result can be shown on screen automatically (something like a pop up message)when I logs in to my account.and afterward by clicking a button or icon whenever I wish. In summary I WANT A ROW OF DATA IN EXCEL 2007 BE SHOWN ON DESKTOP LIKE A POP UP WINDOW AT START UP.I hope I explained it clearly.

81. morteza says:

Hi Svetlana
    I used VLOOKUP function to fetch the desired row and show it elsewhere and it works.
    I hope can find a solution for my 2nd Q. I think i should use some codes in excel VBA. Unfortunately I have no idea about that.

82. QS says:

Hi, I am struggling with the following:

I have a certain text in Column C and want that certain row from A to G to be a specific colour when the text is written in column C. can you please help me?

• Hi,

If you want to highlight the row with exact match in Column C, then select your table and create a rule with this formula:
      =$C2="text" (assuming that your table has headers and row 2 is your 1st row with data)

If you want to highlight the row with partial match, i.e. Column C may contain a certain text preceded or followed by some other text, then use this formula:
      =SEARCH("text", $C2)>0

83. QS says:

Hi Svetlana,

I still can't seem to get it right. Maybe I should explain better. I have text in column C and then have values in some of the other columns. my text in column C reads "PC AMOUNT" and when I type this in I want the specific row from column A to Column G to turn a specific colour.

When I use the formula you gave, and I type in "PC AMOUNT" where "text" is, it gives me an error. " you may not use reference operators "

Can you perhaps assist.

• Hi,

I have tried to create a rule with this formula =$C2="PC AMOUNT" and it worked fine on my test data. Just make sure that you use the straight quotes in Excel, because this blog converts them to smart quotes and this does cause the error you mentioned when copying/pasting formulas directly.

84. QS says:

Hi Svetlana,

I got it to work. Thank you very much

85. Nit says:

If i want to change the font color based on cell color what should i do

86. Nit says:

okay i got it... Its in the font tab while creating the rule.

87. KN says:

How do I get an icon set to plot on a graph based on data results from a survey?

• Sorry, I do not exactly understand what you are trying to achieve. Please send us (alexander.frolov@ablebits.com) a screenshot of the desired result and your sample data and we will try to figure out a way.

88. Josh says:

Hello, I have an easy one. I need to highlight today's date row and then the next row as well (not just the next date). I have multiple rows for one date box.
    ex: 1/1/14 row a highlight this row
    row b highlight this row
    1/2/14 row a
    row b

I have today's date row highlighted, but now the row b. The Row b first box covers and row a first box is the same box expanded over the two rows.

89. P. D. says:

Hi! I have a lot of columns in a worksheet. If there is a number greater than 0 in a cell of 1 specific column, I want the first cell of the row where the number greater than 0 is located to become highlighted. Is that possible?

It is not highlighting the entire cell but a cell in that row. Thanks in advance!

• Hi,

Yes, you can do this in the following way:
      - Select only the column where you want to color cells (except for the header row, if any). Suppose this is column A.
      - Create a conditional formating rule with this formula: =$C2>0 where C is your specific column. If your table does not have headers and your data starts in row 1, then use =$C1>0

Since we use a mixed reference in the formula (absolute column and relative row), the formula will highlight the first cell (A) of each row where the value in column C in greater than 0.

90. Tharindha Herath says:

Great tutorial. Is very helpful and saved my time lot. Thank you.

91. Thelma says:

Hello. I am trying to use your formula but somehow I am missing something. I want to highlight the entire row in green if C1 has the text "completed". Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

• Hi Thelma,

You can do this by selecting the entire table where you want to color the rows and creating the conditional formatting rule with this formula:
      =$C1="completed"

If C1 may contain some other words, e.g. "completed last week", then you can use this formula for partial match.
      =SEARCH("completed", $C1)>0

Also, make sure you use straight quotes in the formula, they are often changed to smart quotes when copying / pasting from web-pages.

If the rule still does not work, please send me your workbook at support@ablebits.com and I will try to help.

92. Lu says:

I am trying to format a sheet so that when a date is entered in a row in column K the entire row is coloured yellow. However when a second date is entered in the same row in column L the row is changed to red. I know this should be simple but I am having issues getting it to work.

• Hello Lu,

I think you can create 2 rules with the following formulas and apply them to the entire table:
      1) =$K1<>"" - yellow fill color
      2) =AND($K1<>"", $L1<>"") - red fill color. Check the option "Stop if true" next to this rule and make sure it comes first in the rule list.

The rules will color your spreadsheet correctly if only dates are allowed in columns K and L, because as you understand, the formulas will work if any value is entered in those 2 columns. Hopefully, this solution is suitable for your task.

93. Kyle says:

How would I do this if I wanted it black out a row with any text in a column cell? For example a termination date. If there is any date entered in that column it blacks that employees info.

• Hi Kyle,
      You can select the entire table and create a rule with this formula (assuming that your table has headers and data starts in row 2):
      =$B2<>"" where B is your termination date column. Naturally, you choose the black fill color.

94. Alexey says:

Hi Svetlana,

Could you please help me
    I try to use formula, for example

=SEARCH("anymatch",A1)

But catch error "We found a problem with formula... Now trying to type a formula? When the first character is an exusal (=) or minus (-) sign, Excel thinks it's a fomula"...

And I can't save Formatting rule.

• Hi Alexey,

If you have the Russian regional settings, then you should use a semicolon instead of a comma in your formula (unless you changed this in the regional setting in control panel).

Also, please note that if you want to find the specified text in any position in a cell, the formula reads =SEARCH("anymatch";A1)>0. If a cell's contents should start with the specified text, then use =SEARCH("anymatch";A1)=1

If the error persists, please let the know the full formula, exactly as you are entering it in a rule. In this way, it would be easier to test and pin down the root of the problem.

95. Mamatha says:

Hi ,

I am able to achieve conditional formatting , but i also have hierarchy in my sheet , so after applying conditional formatting if i try expanding hierachy my foramtting is disappearing .

Can you please help , I have applied applied sap styles for my hierarchy.

How to lock the conditional formatting , i mean it should retain/remain after expanding hierarchy.

Thanks in advance.
    Mamatha

• Hello Mamatha,

I am sorry I do not quite understand what exactly you mean by "hierarchy" in your sheet. Is it group subtotal or something else? Anyway, it would be easier to determine the source of the problem if I could have a look at your data. You can send me your worksheet at support@ablebits.com and I will do my best to help.

96. Laura says:

I need a little help...

I am trying to get the whole row text to change colour based on entries in column S.

I go to conditional formatting and choose a new rule. I then pick use a formula to determine which cells to format. I then put the following formula in: =$S7="2015 callback"

I change the format so that the text will change to purple.

Once I have done all this some cells change but these are rows of cells where the information in column s is not "2015 callback"

How can I manipulate this excel spreadsheet to do as I want?

• Hi Laura,

Your formula is correct. Just make sure please that you apply it to the right range of cells. For example, if row 7 is your first row with data, then you should select the range starting with A7.

If your data starts in some other row, e.g. row 2, then you should change the formula accordingly: =$S2="2015 callback"

I have created a similar rule for column C and it works just fine:
      Conditional formatting rule

97. marina says:

Can you help me in one case
    My requirement is "I just want to highligt the cell (by colour) if any changes done after a particular date.

98. Jelena says:

I have a problem with icon sets. I'm supposed to obtain green flag in cell A5 if there is any value (combination of letters and numbers) in cell F5 and red flag in the case that there is no value. I need a solution for entire column A (flags) and F (values).

Thank you in avance.

99. Jal says:

Hi Svetlana,

Lets say there are two colums
    A B
    11 13
    12 9
    13 15
    5 55

If the value of B is greater than that of a, the value in B should be green color else red. How do i go about doing that?
    J

100. Dee says:

I am trying to change the row colour based on the word 'PAID' in one cell but I cannot make it work. I have tried all that you have suggested above and am at the point of tearing my hair out! please help!

• Hi Dee,

Try this:

- Select all the rows you want to color, excluding the header row, if any.
      - Go to Conditional Formatting > New rule > Use a formula to determine which cells to format.
      - Create a rule with this formula =SEARCH("PAID", $C2)>0 Remember to replace C with the name of your column that contains the word PAID. If your data starts in a row other than 2, replace 2 with the corresponding row number.

If the formula still does not work for you, please send me your sample workbook at support@ablebits.com and we will figure out the cause.

101. mir says:

hi...i have a data for product pricing let say from day 1-10. i want to read the data fast. for me to do that i want to see which items increase, decrease and retains the same from day 1 - 10. is it possible for conditional formatting? thank you.

• Hello Mir,

I believe you can use Excel Icon Sets for this, e.g. three arrow set.

You could create an additional column with a formula that calculates the difference between Day 10 and Day 1, say =P2-G2 (where P2 is Day10 and G2 is Day1). Apply an icon set to this column and select the box "Show icon only".

102. shikha says:

Hi Svetlana,

I am struck at one point in my excel sheet, the client needs to detect all red colored cells in a column, and give them a code like "L" and copy in the corresponding empty row. I am not sure how I should move....

I am looking for your kind guidance in this regard.

Shikha

103. BSWjon says:

Hi ablebits,

I am having trouble with the =SEARCH(“pine”, $E7)>0 formula described in this article, (I've adapted it to fit my criteria) it just doesn't work. I require the row ranging from E7 to H7 to change colour when 'pine' is in cell E7.

Cell E7 has numbers preceding the text, e.g '4.2 Pine'. Also, the cell contents are selected using a drop down box (via data validation). Will either of these affect the formula?

Look forward to reading your reply

Jon

• Hi BSWjon,

Conditional formatting rules work with drop down list values as well as with normal values. Your formula is also correct, I've just tested it on similar data (drop box, preceding text) and it has worked perfectly. If you can send me your sample workbook at support@ablebits.com I think we will be able to figure out the cause of the problem.

104. RAKESH says:

HI..Is there a way where by i click on a cell which has any value and it changes it color...and also of copying value of cell into another cell in different spread sheet by clicking on it or any other manner.

• Hi Rakesh,

Both of your tasks can be accomplished using VBA. But actually I do not see any point in writing a special macro for the first task since it takes just a click on the Fill Color button on the ribbon to color a cell.

105. Will says:

Hi, I need a formula to colour cells based on what I sell.

I have spreadsheet with a code for what I sell, so household HC, car PC and van GV at the start of the row.

I also have a few other things in the row, is there a way for colouring the row based on what I put in, so HC - blue row, GV - orange row?

• Hi Will,

Of course, you can do this. Simply select the entire table and create a separate rule for each code with the below formulas (assuming that your codes are in column A and row 2 is your top-most row with data):
      Blue: =$A2="HC"
      Orange: =$A2="GV"

106. Sudha says:

Hi, I work on rotation updates and i colour code them based on the stage they are for example if i have initiated the visa process then i colour them in Yellow and if they are on rotation - Green and so on. What i want to know is if i create a table as below

1 In Process
    2 On the ground
    3 Returned
    4 Complete

And another table with the rotator details, i would want to automate the colours when ever i update the rotator details. For example : If i input 1 in Row A1 then i want the entire row to be coloured and if i input 2 in row A2 then it should coloured to a different colour. Is this possible with conditional formatting?

THanks for your help!

• Hi Sudha,

You can select all the rows that you want to get colored (entire rows without column headers) and create several rules, a rule per each value in column A, with the following formulas:
      Green: =$A1=1
      Yellow: =$A1=2
      etc.

Where A1 is the top-left cell of the selected range.

107. Sudha says:

THanks alot it helped!!

108. Joel says:

Wow, thanks a lot for those tips, it will help a lot!!!

109. sabarish says:

If suppose change the particular cell value from 5 to 3 etc.. now need to highlight color wherever we changed value

• Hello Sabarish,

Do you mean you edit the cell manually and you want that cell to change the color once the value is changed? Do you want the cell to keep the color when a workbook is closed and then re-opened?

110. Erik says:

I work with students and I need to know if they are behind. If I have a cell that has a text value ("Y" or "N") and one that is counting days (45). How would I get the row to change to red if I have a "N" condition and a >21? Thank you for any help.

• Hi Erik,

Try this formula:=AND($B2="N",$D2>21)

Where $B2 is the first cell of the Y/N column, excluding headers; and $D2 is the first cell of the Days column.

• Erik says:

Thank you for the help. It works perfectly. I have over 140 rows. Is there a way to apply the formatting to work individually with each cell without having to manually go to each cell? Thank you again for your help.

• Simply apply that rule to all 140 rows. Click Conditional Formatting > Manage rules, and change the range in the box under "Applies to". Since you use relative row references in the formula (without the $ sign), the rule will be applied to each row individually.